Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default DANGER! Gun question .....

"SteveB" wrote in message
For a coyote gun, I'm considering a 22/250. I like the Savage Model 12.
Should I consider other calibers, or is this a good choice?

Steve

'Never shot a coyote, but I've shot two .22/250s, one on an '03 with a
recessed bolt face (Arisaka-style); one on an early Savage 110.

As an old varmint hunter, it's one of my favorite cartridges. It will really
reach out and it has plenty of power for coyotes. I killed a 55-pound
javelina with a smaller .22 than that -- a .223 -- and he got no more than 5
feet before dropping dead.

Most people will tell you that it's hell on barrels but new Savages may have
that licked. Watch out with the handloads; it's easy to run them well over
50,000 CUP if you aren't careful. However, when I shot .22/250s they were
wildcats -- which tells you how long ago that was. g They're probably
tamed now that they're a commercial cartridge. They had a reputation for
requiring experimenting with handloads to get good accuracy, a lot like the
..220 Swift.

--
Ed Huntress