Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default TOT Gizzajob

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 01:14:14 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. com...
Clive George wrote:

Or there's always the option of setting up on your own - see eg TMH. I
reckon people are getting lazier - I know I am :-) - so his business
model is moderately viable for somebody without huge ambitions but
some ability.

'Moderately viable'? Strange choice of phrase.

I can earn a very good living without much in the way of stress, so its
certainly viable. I'll never be a millionaire doing what I do, but that
wasn't the plan.

Yebbut you do seem to work at it. I wanted to avoid the impression that it
would be a free lunch.

The success of a business seems to be like flying an aeroplane, either
it climbs away to sunny realms above the clouds, or it goes down.

I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who will either
take on a pub in this country at a time when the supermarkets are
selling beer at 1/3rd of the price they can get it from the brewery,
or alternatively decide with no training, no experience, no language
skills to go and open a bar in Spain. These characters are on TV every
second week, one couple I saw recently reckoned they thoroughly
researched the market before opening a bar / bacon, egg & beans cafe
in Benidorm. After all, they said they'd made a visit over there and
looked at over 20 such cafes(run by failed English couples) for sale
all on Benidorm sea front, and this one was the best.

Forgive me, but with 20+ duds for sale on one sea front wouldn't that
seem to indicate a very difficult business environment with a near
certainty of failure ?

Derek