Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default How to choose correct tool to re-thread stripped bolt?

"TomYoung" wrote in message
On Sep 16, 7:45 am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
Trying to assist a friend with the repair of a piece of exercise
equipment.
Someone stripped a threaded part. See the post sticking straight up from
the
cylindrical part in the picture?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...votTube.jpg?t=...

Exactly what's the name of the re-tapping tool I need to look for, and how
to do choose the right size? I can determine the original thread size by
removing the non-stripped one from the other side of the machine. What's
next? Are these tools designated in the same size as the stripped bolts or
nuts?

You want a "die." Take the non-stripped one with you to the hardware
store and the "helpful hardware man" can measure the piece and help
you select the right sized die. And yes, the tools are designated in
the same size as the stripped bolt or nut, e.g., 7/16 x 20. A die
can clean up the threading on a stripped bolt but it can't add
material back.

Tom Young

Thanks, Tom.