Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to choose correct tool to re-thread stripped bolt?

Trying to assist a friend with the repair of a piece of exercise equipment.
Someone stripped a threaded part. See the post sticking straight up from the
cylindrical part in the picture?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...g?t=1253112064

Exactly what's the name of the re-tapping tool I need to look for, and how
to do choose the right size? I can determine the original thread size by
removing the non-stripped one from the other side of the machine. What's
next? Are these tools designated in the same size as the stripped bolts or
nuts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 7:45*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
Trying to assist a friend with the repair of a piece of exercise equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...votTube.jpg?t=...

Exactly what's the name of the re-tapping tool I need to look for, and how
to do choose the right size? I can determine the original thread size by
removing the non-stripped one from the other side of the machine. What's
next? Are these tools designated in the same size as the stripped bolts or
nuts?

You want a "die." Take the non-stripped one with you to the hardware
store and the "helpful hardware man" can measure the piece and help
you select the right sized die. And yes, the tools are designated in
the same size as the stripped bolt or nut, e.g., 7/16 x 20. A die
can clean up the threading on a stripped bolt but it can't add
material back.

Tom Young
=================

Thanks, Tom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Trying to assist a friend with the repair of a piece of exercise equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 10:45*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
Trying to assist a friend with the repair of a piece of exercise equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 1:14*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Trying to assist a friend with the repair of a piece of exercise
equipment. Someone stripped a threaded part. See the post sticking
straight up from the cylindrical part in the picture?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...votTube.jpg?t=....

Exactly what's the name of the re-tapping tool I need to look for, and how
to do choose the right size? I can determine the original thread size by
removing the non-stripped one from the other side of the machine. What's
next? Are these tools designated in the same size as the stripped bolts or
nuts?

*A die would work, but I have something that has worked on bolts and rods if
only a few threads are partially damaged. *It is called a thread restoring
file. *I think that I got it from McMaster-Carr years ago.

There are thread gauges that you can insert into the grooves to determine
the thread count.

You want what is called a thread restorer They are available at
Sears, auto parts stores, etc. It also obviously depends on how
mangled the thread are. Unless they are real bad, it should work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Trying to assist a friend with the repair of a piece of exercise equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Trying to assist a friend with the repair of a piece of exercise equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Trying to assist a friend with the repair of a piece of exercise
equipment. Someone stripped a threaded part. See the post sticking
straight up from the cylindrical part in the picture?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...g?t=1253112064

Exactly what's the name of the re-tapping tool I need to look for, and
how to do choose the right size? I can determine the original thread
size by removing the non-stripped one from the other side of the
machine. What's next? Are these tools designated in the same size as
the stripped bolts or nuts?

I have often just used just a nut to fix threads. Put the bolt in a vice
and start the nut. Use plenty of oil and a big wrench and thread the nut
on, screw it all the way down and back several times. Be careful not to
cross thread it or you will wreak the threads worse.

Cut some slots across the threads of the nut and it
will work better. It does for me.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Trying to assist a friend with the repair of a piece of exercise
equipment.
Someone stripped a threaded part. See the post sticking straight up from
the
cylindrical part in the picture?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...votTube.jpg?t=...

Exactly what's the name of the re-tapping tool I need to look for, and how
to do choose the right size? I can determine the original thread size by
removing the non-stripped one from the other side of the machine. What's
next? Are these tools designated in the same size as the stripped bolts or
nuts?

Call the manufacturer and find out how much a new part would cost.
They might even give it to you for free.

If the threads were truly stripped, they'll just be more likely to
fail again even if you "clean them up". You might be able to make
them look better, but don't think that you're really fixing or
restoring anything.

The manufacturer sucks - Horizon Fitness. Five voice mail messages and two
e-mails & still no response. The part is no longer available at one site
which sells parts for exercise equipment. But that's OK. I mentioned this to
my excellent auto mechanic, who said "Why buy the die or some other tool?
Bring the part when you come for your oil change next week." These guys love
the occasional non-automotive challenge. Try that with Jiffy-Lube. :-)