Posted to alt.home.repair
Hustlin' Hank Hustlin' Hank is offline

Default How to fasten gas tank to lawn mower

On Sep 14, 8:14�pm, Ray K wrote:
One of the two ears that attaches the gas tank to the Tecumseh engine of
my Toro mower broke. The top photo shows the break, just to the left of
the gas filler cap.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921472990/

I'm looking for ideas on how to secure the tank to the mower. (A
replacement costs about $18, plus $10 or so shipping.)

The length around the gas tank to the front just above the spark plug
and back to the gas tank is about 42 inches. At first I used three loops
of electrician's tape. It held okay, but it stretches so the tank is
once again loose on one side. �I was thinking of some kind of band, like
Velcro, 3/4" wide, or some kind of ratcheting tiedown so I can secure
the tank close to the body. Or maybe a hose clamp like used under auto
hoods, but with a band 42 inches long. (Maybe a plumbing supply house
has such an item.)

No need to worry about contact with hot surfaces.

Thanks,

Ray

I have a tank that looks VERY similar to the one in the pic. Send me
the distance between the brackets and I'll measure mine. Also, which
side the hose hooks to. You can contact me at . I
don't knwo what it would cost to ship it, but I would need $5 plus
shipping if it fits. The tank is is great shape.

Hank