Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to fasten gas tank to lawn mower

One of the two ears that attaches the gas tank to the Tecumseh engine of
my Toro mower broke. The top photo shows the break, just to the left of
the gas filler cap.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921472990/

I'm looking for ideas on how to secure the tank to the mower. (A
replacement costs about $18, plus $10 or so shipping.)

The length around the gas tank to the front just above the spark plug
and back to the gas tank is about 42 inches. At first I used three loops
of electrician's tape. It held okay, but it stretches so the tank is
once again loose on one side. I was thinking of some kind of band, like
Velcro, 3/4" wide, or some kind of ratcheting tiedown so I can secure
the tank close to the body. Or maybe a hose clamp like used under auto
hoods, but with a band 42 inches long. (Maybe a plumbing supply house
has such an item.)

No need to worry about contact with hot surfaces.

Thanks,

Ray

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:
[...]

It's not clear to me whether the metal or the plastic broke. If the metal, it
should be an easy fix with welding or rivits. If the plastic, probably the
easiest fix is to pick up a freebie mower with the same tank and swap parts.
Lots of those out there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote in news:4aaedc58$0$5017
:

One of the two ears that attaches the gas tank to the Tecumseh engine of
my Toro mower broke. The top photo shows the break, just to the left of
the gas filler cap.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921472990/

I'm looking for ideas on how to secure the tank to the mower. (A
replacement costs about $18, plus $10 or so shipping.)

My first thought is to put a couple of #6 three-quarter inch pan-head wood
screws into what's left of the tank's hanger. You'd screw them in just far
enough apart, and in just the right position, to grab the sides of the
clamp on the metal engine cover.

It should be OK if the screws go all the way through the tank. They will be
so tight it's unlikely anything will leak.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 7:32*pm, Tegger wrote:
[...]

I would take a piece of heavy iron/steel wire and bend it into a
squared-off U shape. One end to go into the tank where the
reinforced area is. THe otherr end to go into the motor mount area.
Drill a slightly undersized hole in the tank and the engine mount and
wire the tank in place. THen bend the to ends of the U toward each
other to hold them in [place. Some gasoline resistant caulk where the
wire goes thru the gas tak support area should keep gasokline from
dripping/leraking out the tio op of the tank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

It's not clear to me whether the metal or the plastic broke.

It's the plastic tab on the gas tank.
If the metal, it
should be an easy fix with welding or rivits. If the plastic, probably the
easiest fix is to pick up a freebie mower with the same tank and swap parts.
Lots of those out there.

Good idea; I'll watch for one.

Ray

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:

Thanks, Bob, Tegger and hr, for the three very good ideas. I'll
experiment tomorrow.

Here are two closeups:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921815218/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921032797/

Ray

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:
[...]

Daisy chain some zip ties together so they are long enough to reach around
the tank and the hole that the tank ear went into. Make another parallel
set too, if you want, and pull each of them securely.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:
Ray K wrote:

Thanks, Bob, Tegger and hr, for the three very good ideas. I'll
experiment tomorrow.

Here are two closeups:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921815218/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921032797/

Another suggestion. Get some very heavy aluminum duct tape. The adhesive is very
strong. Clean both surfaces with acetone or similar, and tape it on with a
couple layers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My Dad had a similar thing. He made a piece of wood to fit
under the tank. Screwed through the deck into the wood, and
then strapped the tank to the wood. No law says the tank has
to mount to the motor cover.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ray K" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixed

Bob F wrote:

Another suggestion. Get some very heavy aluminum duct tape. The adhesive is very
strong. Clean both surfaces with acetone or similar, and tape it on with a
couple layers.

I should have thought of that, especially since I have a roll in the
attic. I cut a length long enough to go around everything, then slit it
into thirds, each about 3/4" wide. I propped the tank on wood blocks,
then wrapped it three times. Here are the results:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3923322622/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3923322554/

Next week after a hour of lawn-cutting, we'll see how well it holds up
to vibration. If it doesn't, Joe's excellent idea for the daisy-chaining
zip ties is next.

Thanks to all.

Ray

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Ray K" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:

Another suggestion. Get some very heavy aluminum duct tape. The adhesive
is very strong. Clean both surfaces with acetone or similar, and tape it
on with a couple layers.

I should have thought of that, especially since I have a roll in the
attic. I cut a length long enough to go around everything, then slit it
into thirds, each about 3/4" wide. I propped the tank on wood blocks, then
wrapped it three times. Here are the results:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3923322622/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3923322554/

Next week after a hour of lawn-cutting, we'll see how well it holds up to
vibration. If it doesn't, Joe's excellent idea for the daisy-chaining zip
ties is next.

Thanks to all.

Ray

I had success fixing a tank by epoxing everything together. That along with
one of the other ideas might be a fix that hangs in there for a while.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Best wishes, and hope that works well for you. I'm
predicting the glue to dry out in about five years, and
you'll have to do it again.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ray K" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9027891...00/3923322554/

Next week after a hour of lawn-cutting, we'll see how well it holds up
to vibration. If it doesn't, Joe's excellent idea for the daisy-chaining
zip ties is next.

Thanks to all.

Ray

Watch it, we're bordering on Red Neck Lawn Mower territory here!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have to get your Redneck Card, and prove that you're worthy.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Watch it, we're bordering on Red Neck Lawn Mower territory
here!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Watch it, we're bordering on Red Neck Lawn Mower territory here!

More closer to Red Green methinks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray K wrote:
Ray K wrote:

Thanks, Bob, Tegger and hr, for the three very good ideas. I'll
experiment tomorrow.

Here are two closeups:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921815218/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921032797/

Ray

If that engine housing is metal, some pipe strapping and short pop
rivets or self-tapping screws should fix you right up. You could even
add an L bracket to the strapping on the backside of the tank, to hold
it up vertically, so that one horizontal strap would be all that was
needed. Not a lot of weight there. Think oblong drink holder.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 8:14�pm, Ray K wrote:
[...]

I have a tank that looks VERY similar to the one in the pic. Send me
the distance between the brackets and I'll measure mine. Also, which
side the hose hooks to. You can contact me at . I
don't knwo what it would cost to ship it, but I would need $5 plus
shipping if it fits. The tank is is great shape.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:47:21 -0400, Ray K
wrote:

Bob F wrote:

It's not clear to me whether the metal or the plastic broke.

It's the plastic tab on the gas tank.
If the metal, it
should be an easy fix with welding or rivits. If the plastic, probably the
easiest fix is to pick up a freebie mower with the same tank and swap parts.
Lots of those out there.

Good idea; I'll watch for one.

I just got rid of one yesterday,... but supposedly they are going to
fix it, so I couldn't have given it to you, even though I gave the
whole mower to them.

Ray

Craftsman lawn mower scalps lawn- need advice George Abbot Home Repair 14 May 31st 08 02:27 PM
Store lawn mower with full or empty tank? Joe Home Repair 28 September 27th 07 01:12 AM
Lawn Mower Help John UK diy 8 June 7th 06 02:21 PM
lawn mower Charlie Brown Home Repair 3 October 25th 05 03:41 AM
Lawn Mower harry manka Home Repair 9 September 29th 04 04:30 PM