Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Substitute for outdoor garbage can lid

mm wrote:
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:09:25 -0400, "Cajun" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:29:02 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:
I got to tell you, it never occurred to me until I read Smitty's
answer that it was possible to buy a lid without a can. Although it
makes sense since lids get lost a lot more than most other things.

That's what I always figured too, until I recently bought 2 Rubbermaid
cans. The lids were listed separately than the cans, didn't notice until
they rang them up. I was like, huh? Whoever thought they would sell cans,
without lids.

Well, I had a meeting tonight next door to home depot and I ran in.

My probably 32-gallon garbage can has NO brand name on it, somehow,
but it looked just like some 45 gallon garbage cans with the
Rubbermaid name on it. (Mine actually has a non-wrinkled area on the
front with no name embossed there!)** I measured it with my arm, and
theirs is a lot bigger than mine. The clerk thought they sold metal
lids separately but only metal. But I have to find a store or
website that sells the right size first.

But if you bought Rubbermaid separately recently, I'm on the right
trail.

**A couple of my neigbhors have the same size. I'll have to go look
if they have a brand name next garbage day. But they weren't around
when my lid went missing. Their cans and lids were lying in their
yards. I went out within an hour of the garbage collection. No one
was around except the garbage men.... at least that I saw.

Did the next guy downstream from you (as the packer truck drives) maybe
have an EXTRA lid you didn't notice? Maybe the guy on the back forgot to
let go....

--
aem sends...