Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default Slider advice

On Sep 15, 5:55*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
surplusdealdude wrote:
On Sep 13, 5:01 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
I have a 5x8', pretty thick, plywood base resting on the edges three
(maybe four) 2x12 frames. This plywood base has on it a significant
load, maybe 200 pounds. I would like to be able to slide the base
(and the load) along the support frames - not far, maybe two feet,
do my business, then slide the whole shebang back into its original
position.

I've pondered various methods and the one that seems the least
trouble with the greatest chance of success is some kind of slickery
material coating both the frame edges and the underside of the base.

I'm thinking something similar to the stuff we see hawked for the
feet of refrigerators and heavy furniture. Whether these sliders
actually work, I know not, but assuming they do, what is the
material from which they're made, is it available in strips, and
where do you get it?

I'm soliciting other possible solutions, too. I've considered:
* The material-handling ladder-looking things with scores of little
wheels instead of rungs (too expensive)
* Mounting a dozen or more furniture wheels one the frame holding up
the base (too much trouble)
* Attaching a harness to my cat and using a whip (too cruel)

I suggest that you use UHMW Polyethylene.

This is the most slippery material next to teflon and it's reasonably
priced, as plastics go ( between HDPE and delrin in price)

This is a relatively soft material that can withstand 6000 lbs of
pressure per square inch, absorbs absolutely no water and won't damage
hardwood surfaces.

You can pick up small assortments of it at places like lee Valley,
Woodcraft or Busy Bee Tools.

Cool! Looks like a winner:http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,110,43466

Better deal:http://www.primelec.com/Everything-E.../2-Inch-X-18-Y...

Suggested uses include drawer slides and power tool fences.

I dont know how durable your setup needs to be but that tape would
make me a bit nervous.

I was confused HDPE with UHMW polyethylene....UHMW is what we used on
our assembly line.

I would recommend using UHMW strips that are thick enough to attach
using screws.

cheers
Bob