Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slider advice

I have a 5x8', pretty thick, plywood base resting on the edges three (maybe
four) 2x12 frames. This plywood base has on it a significant load, maybe 200
pounds. I would like to be able to slide the base (and the load) along the
support frames - not far, maybe two feet, do my business, then slide the
whole shebang back into its original position.

I've pondered various methods and the one that seems the least trouble with
the greatest chance of success is some kind of slickery material coating
both the frame edges and the underside of the base.

I'm thinking something similar to the stuff we see hawked for the feet of
refrigerators and heavy furniture. Whether these sliders actually work, I
know not, but assuming they do, what is the material from which they're
made, is it available in strips, and where do you get it?

I'm soliciting other possible solutions, too. I've considered:
* The material-handling ladder-looking things with scores of little wheels
instead of rungs (too expensive)
* Mounting a dozen or more furniture wheels one the frame holding up the
base (too much trouble)
* Attaching a harness to my cat and using a whip (too cruel)

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
[...]

Unable to parse your sentences to figure out what you are talking about.
Can you post a link to a picture? Is this a one-time move or a recurring
thing? First thing that comes to mind is a couple stanley wonderbars and
some pieces of pipe. Second thing is four strong guys and carry it,
adding handles if needed. Third thing would be a couple of the lifting
furniture dolleys (like they move loaded desks with) mounted permanently
underneath, with a way to stick the lever in to raise them as needed.
There is not going to be a painless way to do this, and if there is
going to be a recurring need to move the thing, may as well go through
the pain once to do it right.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Skids of this type really do work:
http://www.installertools.com/cgi-bi...logno=EZ-02-04

I think the bottoms are HDPE plastic - you may already own some.
We've moved some tremendous weight (2 tons +) with them on various
surfaces - your 200# would be child's play.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:01:36 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

[...]

I moved a heavy hutch, chest of drawers, dresser using frizbies(sp) under
the corners. Once over carpet to remove carpet and back in place on the
installed tile. Had a 2x4 cut at 45 degree wedge as lever to lift hutch
enough to put frizbies under it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 2:01*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

HeyBub-

Years ago I had to develop a simple, cheap & easy way to move medium
weight items ~150 / 200 lbs along a low production rate assembly
line.

We settled on HDPE (high density polyethylene, poor man's teflon)
strips screwed (counter sunk screws) to a lineup of workbenches.

Instead of HDPE on the moving sled we used an "indoor outdoor like"
product glued, wrapped & tacked to the bottom of the sled.

Dan's suggestion of furniture bottoms will work.

We found short nap carpet on HDPE to be acceptable..... the force to
move your object will be measured in 10's of pounds.

We tried HDPE on HDPE but fabrication debris (esp, aluminum drilling
chips) would embed in the HDPE surfaces, the carpet was way more
forgiving.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

Like aem, I can't figure out what the hell you're talking about, but the
furniture sliders work. Biggest problem with them is keeping them
between the furniture and the floor. They tend to self-eject for a
variety of reasons that I won't carry on about.

I made some custom sliders from my favorite material in all the world,
Delrin. I machined them to fit the legs on a particular piece of
furniture that I wanted to move often. Delrin (acetal) is available from
McMaster or eBay.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:42:30 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
I have a 5x8', pretty thick, plywood base resting on the edges three (maybe
four) 2x12 frames. This plywood base has on it a significant load, maybe 200
pounds. I would like to be able to slide the base (and the load) along the
support frames - not far, maybe two feet, do my business, then slide the

I have the same questions Aem has, plus if you do your business and
then slide it back, it will really smell bad pretty soon, and may rot
the flooor.

Unable to parse your sentences to figure out what you are talking about.
Can you post a link to a picture? Is this a one-time move or a recurring
thing? First thing that comes to mind is a couple stanley wonderbars and
some pieces of pipe. Second thing is four strong guys and carry it,
adding handles if needed. Third thing would be a couple of the lifting
furniture dolleys (like they move loaded desks with) mounted permanently
underneath, with a way to stick the lever in to raise them as needed.
There is not going to be a painless way to do this, and if there is
going to be a recurring need to move the thing, may as well go through
the pain once to do it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
[...]

Picture (end view)

---------- base
| | | frames

Frames stationary, base moves in and out of the screen.

Picture (side view)

== ------------- == base
XXXXXXX frame (stationary)

It is the boundary where the frame meets the base that needs the
low-friction solution.

Sorry about the prose - everybody understands what I'm saying and that's
what I'm trying to explain. Things are, however, in such a state that I have
to write this with a gun in each hand and a knife in the other. All are
still safe, fortunately, except those who drowned in an adjacent bog, while
the rest of us wonder how many more goddamn otter skins we'll have to
stretch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
[...]

I can't quite feature what it is you want to move, something large and
heavy? We were faced with moving a full entertainment center when we
tore up wall-to-wall carpet to install tile. Only wanted to move the
thing once, so we bought two sets of appliance rollers (prob. at HD),
four in all. They were placed under each end of the e.c. and under each
of the upright dividers. E.c. has the usual large TV, stereo, books,
etc. We leave it far enough from the wall that we can reach outlets and
all the cables. Clean back there once in a while, as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 13, 4:01*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

How about the frames with wheels (and locks) sold for power tools like
table saws? Lots of these show up on eBay as salvaged from old
ShopSmiths.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

I'm soliciting other possible solutions, too.

Depending on your budget, you might want to DAGS for linear bearings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Sep 13, 4:01 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I thought about that and figured I'd need about 16 individual wheels
(at $3/each from HF) plus the fussing with the installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 5:01*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

I suggest that you use UHMW Polyethylene.

This is the most slippery material next to teflon and it's reasonably
priced, as plastics go ( between HDPE and delrin in price)

This is a relatively soft material that can withstand 6000 lbs of
pressure per square inch, absorbs absolutely no water and won't damage
hardwood surfaces.

You can pick up small assortments of it at places like lee Valley,
Woodcraft or Busy Bee Tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

surplusdealdude wrote:
On Sep 13, 5:01 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Cool! Looks like a winner:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,110,43466

Better deal:
http://www.primelec.com/Everything-E...-p4673601.html

Suggested uses include drawer slides and power tool fences.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 5:01*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

How delicate is the whole setup?

Get 4 bottle jacks, jack it up about 6", push it over - BOOM - you
moved it about 6". Repeat as required.

Effective...and fun!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 5:55*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
surplusdealdude wrote:
On Sep 13, 5:01 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
[...]

Better deal:http://www.primelec.com/Everything-E.../2-Inch-X-18-Y...

Suggested uses include drawer slides and power tool fences.

I dont know how durable your setup needs to be but that tape would
make me a bit nervous.

I was confused HDPE with UHMW polyethylene....UHMW is what we used on
our assembly line.

I would recommend using UHMW strips that are thick enough to attach
using screws.

cheers
Bob