Jon Endres, PE

Default How much weight can a wall support (mounting a cabinet on a wall)

"Mannanan MacLir" wrote in message
.. .
I am building an oak cabinet, roughly 48 inches wide, 30 high, and 10 deep
which will contain glassware. I want to wall mount this unit, and I was
wondering if (normal) walls are up to the task, and what are the best

means
of anchoring it to the wall to have the best support. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jean-François

Look up "french cleat". http://www.newwoodworker.com/frenchcleat.html

If you attach the lower portion of the cleat to the wall studs with lag
bolts or large screws (2 or more per stud) and then use additional short
screws to simply secure the bottom of the cabinet to the wall, you should be
able to hang a couple hundred pounds.

As an example - I built a simple bookshelf for my office - birch ply and a
face frame, dadoed and rabbeted and glued. I used a french cleat with four
screws, two per stud, and used two more screws (#10 x 3) to secure the
bottom. To test, I did a couple of chinups on the shelf. I weigh almost
290 lb. It held. Do it this way and you won't have to worry about any
normal amount of weight.

Jon E