Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default OT - Lug nuts

George wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
mm wrote:
I presume they were banned because wheels were falling off the cars?
I once changed my tire and didn't put it on well I guess, and on a
two hour trip I kept hearing knocking but didn't get out of the car
to look. I thought it was the wheel bearing or something, never
having heard a bad wheel bearing. When I got where I was going, I
looked, and it was the lug nuts that were loose. Two of my wheel
holes were oblong and the threads on two or three lug studs were
ruined. I was able to tighten 4 or 5 nuts, but I had to replace
the studs.**

Heh!

I recently bought a couple of tires at Walmart. I watched the
technician re-mount the tires and asked if he was done. "No," he
said, "I've got to get the manager to re-torque on the lugs and
sign-off on the job. Walmart doesn't want you to drive out of here
and have your nuts fall off." Presently the manager appeared with a
torque wrench.
Click-click-clickety-click, followed by: "Your nuts are good to go!"

I think I'll stick with my local evil mom & pop tire place where they
don't need to bring the manager out to verify basic service was done
properly.

I think it's a wise move to have another employee double-check a safety
item.

Plus, here's a story from just today about how Walmart is involved in the
fight to keep nuts from falling off.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32784197...sexual_health/