Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
David Skinner David Skinner is offline

Default Switch off at the socket?

In article ,
says...

Mr repair man is talking rubbish to get out of telling you what the real
problem was. When I first went on cable tv the installation guy from Nynex
(as it was then; later C&W then NTL and finally Virgin Media) wanted the STB
left permanently on standby so they could send messages to the television.
Now it gets turned off whenever I am out and overnight and, apart from it
taking a minute to settle down when first switched back on, there are no
problems.

I would suspect so too, except that another symptom of the failure was
that a green LED on the front of the TV stayed-on for a long time
whenever the TV was put into standby. Googling this suggested that the
LED indicated that the TV was trying to update.

What, exactly, it was trying to update, I dunno, but if it was trying to
update Freeview channels or firmware version when someone turned it off
at the plug, I can see how that could corrupt something.