Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Switch off at the socket?

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:53:06 +0100, David Skinner wrote:

In article dd11dcee-9b58-4d46-899e-
, alexander.keys1
@googlemail.com says...

There have been a lot of comments recently about the waste of energy
due to appliances being left on standby, and various gizmo's that are
on offer to turn them off automatically, or otherwise purporting to
save energy. What everybody seems to be forgetting is that an energy-
saving device comes with most UK socket outlets, it's called a
'switch', and when put into the 'off' position, power cosumption is
zero! None of my appliances, including computers, digital TV
receivers, etc. have come to harm through this practice, I always
switch off at the wall, back in the day when there were fewer
appliances this was standard procedure to avoid fire risk.

My parents' 1-and-a-bit-year-old TV broke down the other week. Stopped
receiving DTV and the settings menus became unavailable.

The repair man reloaded the firmware from a memory card, which fixed it.
Then he asked whether it got switched off at the mains a lot. It did -
every night. He said that that may well have been the cause of firmware
corruption and that they should leave the set on standby.

It's a Toshiba Regza something or other, if that matters.

Ah, got one of those here (not mine but some friends staying here for a few
weeks wanted a new TV so we're using theirs) and it's switched off most of
the time.
Difference is, it's not using the Freeview decoder as my arial isn't good
enough (gets ITV etc. but not BBC), so we haven't noticed anything wrong
with DTV. It's only 2 months old so might have been modified since a year
or so ago.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.