Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_2_] Jon Danniken[_2_] is offline

Default How to fasten gas tank to lawn mower

Ray K wrote:
One of the two ears that attaches the gas tank to the Tecumseh engine
of my Toro mower broke. The top photo shows the break, just to the
left of the gas filler cap.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921472990/

I'm looking for ideas on how to secure the tank to the mower. (A
replacement costs about $18, plus $10 or so shipping.)

The length around the gas tank to the front just above the spark plug
and back to the gas tank is about 42 inches. At first I used three
loops of electrician's tape. It held okay, but it stretches so the
tank is once again loose on one side. I was thinking of some kind of
band, like Velcro, 3/4" wide, or some kind of ratcheting tiedown so I
can secure the tank close to the body. Or maybe a hose clamp like
used under auto hoods, but with a band 42 inches long. (Maybe a
plumbing supply house has such an item.)

No need to worry about contact with hot surfaces.

Daisy chain some zip ties together so they are long enough to reach around
the tank and the hole that the tank ear went into. Make another parallel
set too, if you want, and pull each of them securely.

Jon