Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to fasten gas tank to lawn mower

On Sep 14, 7:32*pm, Tegger wrote:
Ray K wrote in news:4aaedc58$0$5017
:

One of the two ears that attaches the gas tank to the Tecumseh engine of
my Toro mower broke. The top photo shows the break, just to the left of
the gas filler cap.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90278919@N00/3921472990/

I'm looking for ideas on how to secure the tank to the mower. (A
replacement costs about $18, plus $10 or so shipping.)

My first thought is to put a couple of #6 three-quarter inch pan-head wood
screws into what's left of the tank's hanger. You'd screw them in just far
enough apart, and in just the right position, to grab the sides of the
clamp on the metal engine cover.

It should be OK if the screws go all the way through the tank. They will be
so tight it's unlikely anything will leak.

--
Tegger

I would take a piece of heavy iron/steel wire and bend it into a
squared-off U shape. One end to go into the tank where the
reinforced area is. THe otherr end to go into the motor mount area.
Drill a slightly undersized hole in the tank and the engine mount and
wire the tank in place. THen bend the to ends of the U toward each
other to hold them in [place. Some gasoline resistant caulk where the
wire goes thru the gas tak support area should keep gasokline from
dripping/leraking out the tio op of the tank.