Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Substitute for outdoor garbage can lid

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 16:08:49 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

Bags? Who uses bags in a garbage can? (Only halfway kidding)

As cheap as garbage cans are, OP is spending more time on this than it
is worth. (IMHO, of course.)

Of course. It's also a borrowed garbage can, and I'd like to be able
to return the whole thing. (All my garbage cans are used up holding
firewood, from the tree that fell down, after my neigbhor complained
about it being stacked on my deck. So I built a firewood rack, 5 feet
long, but it's full already, and I was only able to free up one
garbage can. But it's cool enough to have a fire in the fireplace
now, and I did a couple nights ago.)

For the replacement, I suggest a wheeled
square can with an attached lid. Use the old can for yard waste or
something, where it doesn't matter if it is covered.

It's a townhouse. I have no space.

BTW, anyone ever tried to throw away a garbage can? (like a rusted out
metal one, or a cracked and broken plastic one.) I found you have to
mash it up and put it inside a garbage bag before they will take it.

Once, I had a brown plastic can that had several cracks from the
bottom up 8 or 12 inches, but it still worked fine for most things. I
think the garbage men just threw it away becaus they thought it was
old. That's a reaons with another cracking plastic can I try to
always put it out with the lid, to convince them it's still okay.

OTOH, maybe this was a fluke and most garbage men wouldn't do this.

The can in this thread is black, but really I only want brown because
it matches the house and the dirt around the bushes. But sometimes
it's hard to get brown and they sell those ridiculous blue ones.

MM