Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Substitute for outdoor garbage can lid

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:29:02 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

mm wrote:

-snip-

If I could buy a lid by itself, I would gladly do it, but if I bought
a lid, it would come with a can and then I'd have two cans and one
lid.

http://www.google.com/products?sourc...arbage+can+lid

First hit- $6.20 from your friendly Ace Hardware Store.

I'm glad I asked and I'm glad you and Smitty posted. Because I had
time today to make the lid -- I even got out the scraps, washed them
with the garden hose (since I was watering a little bit of sod anyhow)
and decide which scrap was the right size (the smaller one).
Yesterday, I went to a surplus store and bought a box of 14 bungee
cords, including some long one, and some attachments, for 10 dollars.
So all I had to do was cut it out, find some blue thread, take the
junk off the sewing machine, and eew. But maybe now I won't have to.

I got to tell you, it never occurred to me until I read Smitty's
answer that it was possible to buy a lid without a can. Although it
makes sense since lids get lost a lot more than most other things.

And even then it never occurred to me that I could google for them. I
figured you had to go to the store and ask someone, probably by
whispering.

Everytime I've been to the store, I see a stack of cans and a stack of
lits, and I always figure there is the same number of each, and they
will only sell it that way.

I've also never used the Products category of google. I didn't even
know about it. It's not under More. You have to go to Even More. I
didn't even know about Even More! (Because I rarely look in more. I
have a shortcut, whatever, for searching google groups.)

Live and learn. Thanks.

I didn't mention that my can is rectangular, and adding that word
didn't enable me to find it.

The brand is not obvious, but I'm going to go downstairs and hunt for
it, and make it a seach or "Refine product results" term.

Thanks again.

Jim