Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Substitute for outdoor garbage can lid

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:04:41 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

My waste hauler supplies big roller cans that the truck lifts and
dumps automatically - no charge 'cuz it easier/faster for them.

The hinged lid stays permanantly attached.

Have you asked your hauler about that option?

I can tell by looking, it's not an option. When they have that,
don't they insist that everyone use it? In fact, don't they get rid
of everyone except the truck driver, who doesn't have to get out of
the truck. Here the county collects the garbage and they have 2 or 3
guys in addition to the driver, who walk along in my townhouse n'hood,
and probably hang on to the truck when they go any distance without
houses. There would be short distances like that, but no long ones I
think, except to and from the garbage depot. Maybe all four can fit
in the front seat?? I'll have to pay attention.

I made a point to put my garbage out close to the street, on this
corner area that is right next to the road, to make it easier for
them. Now everyone near me does that, so they don't have to carry the
stuff from the curb the length of a car parking spot. But they still
go past it and then back up to be as close as possible to 3 or 4
houses' trash.

DerbyDad, as to putting the can upside down, I tried that just now,
and I have to crawl on the ground to put something inside. I'm not
sure it will work.

Mike, the truth is I haven't used bags for years. They don't want us
using bags, or even cans with bags but no lids, I thought because the
mice would get at it in the days before it's put out. When it's out,
I've noticed seagulls, I think I saw, pecking through the bags. (This
is Baltimore, which is 60 miles from the sea! But there are flocks of
30 or 50 birds at a lot of big parking lots. Maybe they only come
here on garbage day. )

Of course, maybe if the bags are well sealed, the mice and birds can't
tell what's inside.