Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Clogged toilet (yes, for the billionth time). RESOLVED!

Art Harris wrote:

Interesting. I have a toilet with the same problem as your old one:
Sluggish and won't flush solids.

I have suspected that the problem is not with the toilet, but with the
vent or drain pipe.

Since the toilet used to flush fine, what would account for a decrease
in flushing power? Is there a standard method of isolating the
problem? You were lucky, but I'd hate to replace the toilet only to
find that the real problem was something else.

The kids had their own bathroom and for about 1 year or more, their
commode would clog up about once a month. I could clean it out with a
plunger, and would accuse them of using too much paper, or flushing
stuff that shouldn't be flushed (daughter). Ran a snake though, no luck
although it was a little hard getting through. Eventually I went up on
the roof and snaked out the vent, but found nothing, and it still
clogged. As a last resort, I ripped out the commode....

Well, low and behold, stuck in the trap was a ceramic bar about the
width of a roll of toilet paper. I looked at the toilet paper holder,
which was ceramic, but had a stainless steel, spring loaded paper
holder... I knew immediately what happened, and both kids deny it to
this day, knowing I may still kill anyone that owns up to it, not for
doing it, but not telling me...

The amazing thing is I spent 3 hours trying to get the thing out, but no
way, it seemed to not fit around the bend... had to though, unless they
built the commode with the ceramic bar in it. I carried the damned
thing to the basement, to work on it and after another hour, I gave up,
sat the thing down to leave and when I sat it down, the damned bar just
fell out on it's own....

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/