Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default Concrete Steps are Done - Thanks Everyone

SteveB wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
I posted a few weeks back.

I had a redwood deck/steps leading to my front door and I was tired of
having to treat it every summer.

It was all ripped out, and new concrete was poured and the job was
finished on Saturday. I am very, very pleased with the results.

Now, I have one more question.

I am going to have someone install a powder coated aluminum railing and
handrail. How long do I have to wait to bolt this new railing into the
newly poured concrete? I just don't want to crack it.

Many thanks again.

Kate

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but ...........

If they were mine, I'd wait until warm spring. The concrete will be cured.
Where you put the holes has a lot to do with it, too. If you put them in
from the side into the "meat" of the steps, you can get more strength. If
you put them within 4" of an edge, there will be a tendency to crack off.
Plan the mounts so the holes that need to be drilled are at least 6-8" or
more from the edges. You're going to cry if you crack off a corner of your
new steps.

Another way would be to core drill holes (about the size of a can of beans.)
and then mount the pipes in them. Trouble with those is that they tend to
rust/corrode at the base if you're in cold or wet country. Plus, it will
cost you a decent amount to rent a core drill. No big project, and it gives
nice results, but ..........

Why aluminum?

Steve, an ex steel erection contractor, who has done a lot of step mounts.

Aluminum is very popular where I live (Central WA State). It is
maintenance free which is what I am looking for.

After drilling four holes for each post, it looks like the screws would
have to be drilled in about 2-1/2 inches from the edge of the steps.
This does not sound good after reading your comments.

I have two steps, and the railing is small, only 8'long. The left end
will mount into the side wall of my home, and that leaves two posts to
mount into the concrete.

The guys who did my concrete told me I could install the railing in a
week.

Now I am getting mixed reviews, but this is why I posted in the first
place.

I need to rethink this.

Many thanks. Great info.

Kate