Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair
Elmo[_5_] Elmo[_5_] is offline

Default Lowe's Lousy Inventory

Larry Caldwell wrote:
In article ,
(Grizzly) says...

They are here to stay, and
their kids are learning to speak fluent English. In a generation or two
they will assimilate just as people of other nationalities have. My
Italian great grandmother never learned English even though she lived
here for over 20 years. My grandmother was fluent in Italian and English
and My father could understand Italian and German, but was only fluent
in English.

My mother's parents spoke German at home until WWI, when it became
dangerous to speak German. Their church switched to English services at
the same time. And yes, both of them were born in America.

That's what happened to the Pennsylvania Dutch speakers in my area.
This was a group distinct from the Amish (who still use a dialect of
German) who continued to speak "Dutch" until the same time. There
are remnants in the local dialect of English which eschews the use
of "to be". Instead of saying something "needs to be done" it simply
"needs done". Also the use of "let" and "leave" such that when the
dog is inside and needs to go outside you "leave the dog out" while
when the dog is already outside and you wish it to remain there then
you "let the dog out". And as I have said many times, if John Lennon
had been born around here the song title would have been "Leave it Be".

--
Always remember that it is impossible to speak in such
a way that you cannot be misunderstood: there will always