Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default substitute for curtains during the daytime

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "john royce"
saying something like:

A friends flat is overlooked by other flats and they want to put up
some japanese type opaque paper and also some reflective film ( the
type you can look out of, but people looking in only see a silvery
reflection) on to the window glass.

Could greaseproof cooking paper be used instead of japanese paper
(since its probably a lot cheaper) and if so what would be a way to
stick it to the glass so that it could be easily removed?
Make a lightweight frame to carry the paper and put it in place as
needed.
Window reflective film can be bought from car accessory shops or online.
Shop around as the prices vary widely.
what about venetian blinds,
perhaps vertically,
and sloped so they cant see in?

depends on the lines of sight..

[g]

Yes, brilliant things IMO, and infinitely controllable. The Ikea
aluminium type are pretty cheap and very reliable IME.

Agree, but they are fragile (aluminium is thin and easily bends).

Actually, now I look closer, it's a silver coloured reflective plastic,
which is quite bendy and resilient.

The wooden slat ones are completely useless if you need any light
through the window at all, with being pretty non-reflective.

I've got one of those too, which always lets some light through the
slats, so no good as a blackout.