Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default substitute for curtains during the daytime

A friends flat is overlooked by other flats and they want to put up some
japanese type opaque paper and also some reflective film ( the type you can
look out of, but people looking in only see a silvery reflection) on to the
window glass.

Could greaseproof cooking paper be used instead of japanese paper (since its
probably a lot cheaper) and if so what would be a way to stick it to the
glass so that it could be easily removed?

Would anyone know where in London the reflective film can be bought?
Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

drugs began to take hold. I remember "john royce"
saying something like:

A friends flat is overlooked by other flats and they want to put up some
japanese type opaque paper and also some reflective film ( the type you can
look out of, but people looking in only see a silvery reflection) on to the
window glass.

Could greaseproof cooking paper be used instead of japanese paper (since its
probably a lot cheaper) and if so what would be a way to stick it to the
glass so that it could be easily removed?

Make a lightweight frame to carry the paper and put it in place as
needed.
Window reflective film can be bought from car accessory shops or online.
Shop around as the prices vary widely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "john royce"
saying something like:

A friends flat is overlooked by other flats and they want to put up some
japanese type opaque paper and also some reflective film ( the type you can
look out of, but people looking in only see a silvery reflection) on to the
window glass.

Could greaseproof cooking paper be used instead of japanese paper (since its
probably a lot cheaper) and if so what would be a way to stick it to the
glass so that it could be easily removed?

Make a lightweight frame to carry the paper and put it in place as
needed.
Window reflective film can be bought from car accessory shops or online.
Shop around as the prices vary widely.

what about venetian blinds,
perhaps vertically,
and sloped so they cant see in?

depends on the lines of sight..

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

george (dicegeorge) wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Yes, brilliant things IMO, and infinitely controllable. The Ikea
aluminium type are pretty cheap and very reliable IME.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:39:47 +0100, "john royce"
wrote:

A friends flat is overlooked by other flats and they want to put up some
japanese type opaque paper and also some reflective film ( the type you can
look out of, but people looking in only see a silvery reflection) on to the
window glass.

Keep in mind that the reflective film is bi-directional. At
night when there is more light inside than out, you will be be able to
see out, but everyone outside could see in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 11:39*am, "john royce" wrote:
A friends flat is overlooked by other flats and they want to put up some
japanese type opaque paper and also some reflective film ( the type you can
look out of, but people looking in only see a silvery reflection) on to the
window glass.

Could greaseproof cooking paper be used instead of japanese paper (since its
probably a lot cheaper)

you can use anything you choose. Why not spend the 80p and see if you
like it.

*and if so what would be a way to stick it to the
glass so that it could be easily removed?

Would anyone know where in London the reflective film can be bought?
Thanks.

One option is emergency blankets, 2 for £1 at poundland. Its silvered
mylar, IIRC somewhere in the region of 50% reflective.

I'd rather have all the light coming in, so would prefer other options
to the ones you're discussing.

NT
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:39:47 +0100, john royce wrote:

and also some reflective film ( the type you can look out of, but people
looking in only see a silvery reflection) on to the window glass.

Bear in mind that the film only looks silvery when the light level
outside is higher than that inside. With lighting levels the other
way round, say at night people outside can see quite clearly inside
but the people inside now have the silvery look and feel as if they
can't be observed...

The japanese paper would diffuse things but I wouldn't like having a
bit of paper at a window I like to look out and see what is going on
in the world...

Ventian blinds are good suggestion or roller blinds but be aware of
the possible translucent abilties of some materials. Those made of
thin strips of cane or fine straw almost might as well not be there
at night with the room light on.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Baz Baz is offline

"john royce" wrote in message
A friends flat is overlooked by other flats and they want to put up some
japanese type opaque paper and also some reflective film ( the type you can
look out of, but people looking in only see a silvery reflection) on to the
window glass.

Could greaseproof cooking paper be used instead of japanese paper (since
its probably a lot cheaper) and if so what would be a way to stick it to
the glass so that it could be easily removed?

Would anyone know where in London the reflective film can be bought?
Thanks.

http://www.abodewindowfilms.co.uk

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Agree, but they are fragile (aluminium is thin and easily bends).

The wooden slat ones are completely useless if you need any light
through the window at all, with being pretty non-reflective.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Stuart Noble writes:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Actually, now I look closer, it's a silver coloured reflective plastic,
which is quite bendy and resilient.

The wooden slat ones are completely useless if you need any light
through the window at all, with being pretty non-reflective.

I've got one of those too, which always lets some light through the
slats, so no good as a blackout.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:

I've got one of those too, which always lets some light through the
slats, so no good as a blackout.

DAGS "room darkening" blinds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:02:33 +0100, "george (dicegeorge)"
wrote:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

I like my vertical Levelor venetian blinds, along with shears and
thermo draperies. This combination blocks out 99% of sunlight, yet I
can use just the shears to let light in with privacy. As long as the
outdoors is brighter than inside, shears provide privacy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

john royce coughed up some electrons that declared:

A friends flat is overlooked by other flats and they want to put up some
japanese type opaque paper and also some reflective film ( the type you
can look out of, but people looking in only see a silvery reflection) on
to the window glass.

Could greaseproof cooking paper be used instead of japanese paper (since
its
probably a lot cheaper) and if so what would be a way to stick it to the
glass so that it could be easily removed?

Would anyone know where in London the reflective film can be bought?
Thanks.

No one seems to have net curtains? Might be old fashioned, but they are very
good at solving this type of problem...
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:21:27 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

Ventian blinds are good suggestion or roller blinds but be aware of
the possible translucent abilties of some materials. Those made of
thin strips of cane or fine straw almost might as well not be there
at night with the room light on.

How about vertical blinds? Can be angled to allow light but block view. I
have some that aren't at all transparent but are reasonably translucent so
get reasonable light even when they're closed; this is useful in the
morning as the room's quite light when I come in to open the blinds.

They're also good at this time of the year and later to angle so that the
sun's not shining across the monitor.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 22:14:44 +0100, PeterC wrote:

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:21:27 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

Ventian blinds are good suggestion or roller blinds but be aware of the
possible translucent abilties of some materials. Those made of thin
strips of cane or fine straw almost might as well not be there at night
with the room light on.

How about vertical blinds? Can be angled to allow light but block view.
I have some that aren't at all transparent but are reasonably
translucent so get reasonable light even when they're closed; this is
useful in the morning as the room's quite light when I come in to open
the blinds.

They're also good at this time of the year and later to angle so that
the sun's not shining across the monitor.

If we're mentioning blinds, can I put in a plug for:

http://www.blindsmadeeasy.co.uk

? I've used them three times now, and have no connection other than as a
satisfied customer.

They do lots of different sorts; so far I've only had horizontal
(Venetian) ones. You measure the window, tell them whether you want it
internal or external, which side you want the controls, what colour and
material, etc. You get a (carriage inclusive) proce on the website.
Delivery is about a week to ten days, made to measure.

Mine were easy to put up. Two or three screws each. They did change the
bracket design slightly and I couldn't work it out. Customer service were
quick, efficient and helpful.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Now that's a good idea. Reducing the width on standard roller blinds is
a pain, and the cut edge is never perfect

substitute for curtains during the daytime john royce UK diy 15 September 15th 09 09:47 AM
Need a plumber at midnight for daytime rates? [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 13th 09 11:34 AM
Net curtains and DG George UK diy 1 May 9th 08 09:12 PM
Interior Paint changes colors in areas during the daytime?! [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 10th 07 02:16 PM
Patio Umbrella LED Lights Only Work in the (heat of) Daytime?? capple Home Repair 5 May 3rd 06 10:43 PM