Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default Apollo to Houston: We had a toilet problem.

On Sep 14, 7:11*am, John wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
On Sep 13, 6:18 pm, John wrote:
Emboldened by my vast, bold previous experiences, I embarked upon
another journey into the dark mysterious world of toilets.

When I pulled out the old toilet and saw this, I knew that I wasn't
meant to explore beyond my own tiny pond of a universe:

http://i30.tinypic.com/2mwujqr.jpg(side view)http://i31.tinypic.com/xpphts.jpg* (top view)

Although I was filled with dread, I threw caution to the winds and
placed the new toilet upon the resting place.
Alas, my heart sunk when I felt the toilet rocking back and forth. *I

I looked at the bottom of the new toilet:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2djrmrs.jpg

I measured the interior depth. *About 1/2". *Then I measured the old
toilet clearance: *About 7/8". *Oops.

How would Joe the Plumber resolve this? *Umm, like tonight. *Or better
yet, right now.

If running out to lowes or home depot to get a different toilet is not
an option...

1) shim around the edges of the toilet to prevent rocking.
* *they actually sell wedges for this.
* *paint sticks or plywood scraps will work for now

2) cut off the old flange and 'slide' in a new one.
* *http://tinyurl.com/q8eepx
* *note that for some reason the 3" slide in is much longer than the
4" ones
* *I think Lowes & HD sell both sizes

3) get a bucket for the time being...

Good luck!

I didn't receive your post until much later.

Here's the solution I came up:

In several layers, I put a ton of clear sealant on the bottom of the
toilet. *I let the sealant firm up for about 4 hours before placing the
toilet onto the floor. *I used about 3/4 of a tube of sealant to create
this gasket.

Afterwards, I used the remainder of the tube to fill in the gaps.

Here's a picture of the toilet nearly 10 hours later. *The glue is still
milky since it hasn't cured yet. *It'll probably take the rest of the
week to cure and become clear.

The toilet is now firm and doesn't rock in the least.

http://i31.tinypic.com/345bevb.jpg

What really ****es me off is that each time I start a project, I find
that the builders took every conceivable shortcut imaginable, or they
were stupid and or lazy, and the project takes me a few hours extra to
complete. *Assembling the toilet took less than 20 minutes. *All the
other crap took hours.- Hide quoted text -

unfortunately your solution has two problems

1 If the wax ring leaks you won't know until the waste water builds
up enough to leak below. Don't know if it is correct or not but I
always leave the base of the toilet unsealed so if there is a leak
I'll know quickly.

2 When that silicone fully cures you'll need dynamite to remove that
toilet.