Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default What spirit level?

dent coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi all,

I'm about to build a small block extension, and need a longer spirit
level than I currently have. Firstly, what is a good length - 1.2m or
1.8m? I would think 1.2 is easier to wield, but would a 1.8m be better
for longer runs? I'd rather spend the money on one decent level, than
have to get two of different lengths. Secondly, I think that Stabila
and Stanley seem to be the main makes to look for - is there anything
to differentiate between them? What features should I look for?

In the high-tech world of digital spirit levels, self-levelling laser
line projectors and so on, is it worth considering anything more than
a simple spirit level, either as a replacement for the level, or to be
used in combination with, to make the job easier?

thanks,

dan.

I've got this set:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75181/...asure-Set-6Pcs

Not bad. Not as good as a super quality level (the bubble is smaller than
the gap between the lines) but I find it adequate.

Having a 2', 4' and 6' level is extremely useful.

For longer range work, I find a basic laser level very useful - I have a
cheap Stanley cross-line laser from ebay for 90 quid (double that if new).

The downside is that you cannot see the red line outside - though you could
set up and mark up in the evening.

For wall work I've used all 3 levels and a laser, and for flooring I've used
4', 6' and a laser.

If you fancy something more expensive, a green crossline laser will be more
visible.

I think the spirit levels are a must have, but a cheap set are adequate. I
would not be happy without my laser though. Having 3 lines set at 90
degrees from each other is extremely useful. On occasion I could have found
a use for a plumb laser but not often enough to warrent buying one.

Cheers Tim