Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default What spirit level?

On Sep 14, 8:30 pm, dent wrote:
Hi all,

I'm about to build a small block extension, and need a longer spirit
level than I currently have. Firstly, what is a good length - 1.2m or
1.8m? I would think 1.2 is easier to wield, but would a 1.8m be better
for longer runs? I'd rather spend the money on one decent level, than
have to get two of different lengths. Secondly, I think that Stabila
and Stanley seem to be the main makes to look for - is there anything
to differentiate between them? What features should I look for?

In the high-tech world of digital spirit levels, self-levelling laser
line projectors and so on, is it worth considering anything more than
a simple spirit level, either as a replacement for the level, or to be
used in combination with, to make the job easier?

The short level that you have is adequate for window sills etc.
Even a 1.8m level is too short to get the floor level. Use a water-
filled piece of hosepipe with a plastic bottle at each end to get
levels right.