Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert King Robert King is offline

Default Clogged toilet (yes, for the billionth time). RESOLVED!

I had a similar problem with a toilet which hung up on any solids including
plain toilet paper.
It turns out the problem was an improperly installed wax ring which allowed
excess wax to
protrude into the waste pipe. Solids would stick to the wax and impede
emptying of the
bowl. Carefully snake the bowl trap with a small snake and see if any wax
comes out on
the snake.

Bob
"Art Harris" wrote in message
John wrote:
Two weeks ago I wrote about my trials and tribulations regarding a toilet
that wouldn't flush any solids.

After reading all of the suggestions, I figured it would be easier to
just replace thetoiletand see what happens.

Interesting. I have a toilet with the same problem as your old one:
Sluggish and won't flush solids.

I have suspected that the problem is not with the toilet, but with the
vent or drain pipe.

Since the toilet used to flush fine, what would account for a decrease
in flushing power? Is there a standard method of isolating the
problem? You were lucky, but I'd hate to replace the toilet only to
find that the real problem was something else.

Art Harris