Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Slider advice

Skids of this type really do work:
http://www.installertools.com/cgi-bi...logno=EZ-02-04

I think the bottoms are HDPE plastic - you may already own some.
We've moved some tremendous weight (2 tons +) with them on various
surfaces - your 200# would be child's play.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
I have a 5x8', pretty thick, plywood base resting on the edges
three (maybe four) 2x12 frames. This plywood base has on it a
significant load, maybe 200 pounds. I would like to be able to
slide the base (and the load) along the support frames - not far,
maybe two feet, do my business, then slide the whole shebang back
into its original position.

I've pondered various methods and the one that seems the least
trouble with the greatest chance of success is some kind of
slickery material coating both the frame edges and the underside
of the base.

I'm thinking something similar to the stuff we see hawked for
the feet of refrigerators and heavy furniture. Whether these
sliders actually work, I know not, but assuming they do, what is
the material from which they're made, is it available in strips,
and where do you get it?

I'm soliciting other possible solutions, too. I've considered:
* The material-handling ladder-looking things with scores of
little wheels instead of rungs (too expensive)
* Mounting a dozen or more furniture wheels one the frame
holding up the base (too much trouble)
* Attaching a harness to my cat and using a whip (too cruel)