Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Slider advice

HeyBub wrote:
I have a 5x8', pretty thick, plywood base resting on the edges three (maybe
four) 2x12 frames. This plywood base has on it a significant load, maybe 200
pounds. I would like to be able to slide the base (and the load) along the
support frames - not far, maybe two feet, do my business, then slide the
whole shebang back into its original position.

I've pondered various methods and the one that seems the least trouble with
the greatest chance of success is some kind of slickery material coating
both the frame edges and the underside of the base.

I'm thinking something similar to the stuff we see hawked for the feet of
refrigerators and heavy furniture. Whether these sliders actually work, I
know not, but assuming they do, what is the material from which they're
made, is it available in strips, and where do you get it?

I'm soliciting other possible solutions, too. I've considered:
* The material-handling ladder-looking things with scores of little wheels
instead of rungs (too expensive)
* Mounting a dozen or more furniture wheels one the frame holding up the
base (too much trouble)
* Attaching a harness to my cat and using a whip (too cruel)

Unable to parse your sentences to figure out what you are talking about.
Can you post a link to a picture? Is this a one-time move or a recurring
thing? First thing that comes to mind is a couple stanley wonderbars and
some pieces of pipe. Second thing is four strong guys and carry it,
adding handles if needed. Third thing would be a couple of the lifting
furniture dolleys (like they move loaded desks with) mounted permanently
underneath, with a way to stick the lever in to raise them as needed.
There is not going to be a painless way to do this, and if there is
going to be a recurring need to move the thing, may as well go through
the pain once to do it right.

--
aem sends...