Swingman

Default How much weight can a wall support (mounting a cabinet on a wall)

What part of the world are you in? Makes a big difference on the answer to
your question.

You did build your cabinet, destined for wall use, with built-in screw
strips, didn't you?

I build both wall and base units, which must be attached to a wall, with at
least an upper and lower 3/4" thick screw strip that sits flush between the
back panel and back edge of the cabinet sides.

TIP: If you bevel the bottom part of the TOP screw strip, it will also do
double duty it as the top half of a "French cleat'.

Here in the US, where most construction is wooden frame, I use deck or
drywall screws for the LOWER screw strips of my cabinets, screwed into studs
or blocking.

BUT, I _always_ screw at least two 3 1/2" lag bolts, using the TOP screw
strip of the cabinet, the number depending upon the width of the cabinet,
into at least two studs, or the blocking between the studs.

On a 48" wide cabinet, I would use 3 lag bolts on the TOP screw strip, one
in the middle and the other two evenly spaced toward the sides.

Fastened thusly at the TOP screw strip, you can use just about any type of
screw, drywall or otherwise in the lower screw strips and the cabinet will
handle all the weight for which it was designed.

I recently started using "French cleats", but I still like the lag bolts in
the top screw strip for peace of mind, particularly when I do work for
someone besides myself ... not to mention possible liability issues.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Mannanan MacLir"wrote in message
I am building an oak cabinet, roughly 48 inches wide, 30 high, and 10 deep
which will contain glassware. I want to wall mount this unit, and I was
wondering if (normal) walls are up to the task, and what are the best

means
of anchoring it to the wall to have the best support. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jean-François