Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Skunks breeding next door

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 08:31:29 -0400, joevan
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 20:51:35 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

MLD wrote:

I had a family of skunks living under a deck that was built on the
ground; when they were under it (between the joists) they didn't have
enough room to lift their tails. They'd come out every night at dusk
and back home by daylight. I tried everything: ammonia soaked rags,
broken glass in between the joists and where they came in and out,
moth balls, a liquid guaranteed to get rid of skunks--nothing helped.
So in the end we decided to live and let live. They were right under
our feet, we could see then through the spaces between the decking. No
matter what we did during the day--walked the deck, ate on it,
swept it, washed it down with a hose we never had a problem with the
skunks (at least four of them)--I guess they were willing to put up
with us in exchange for such a nice dry place to live (deck was
covered by a trailer canopy). BTW, no smell; before the summer was
out they decided to relocate on their own. Maybe, as suggested, a
continuous loud radio noise would be a
worthwhile thing to try---anyway, good luck.

Skunks are not stupid. They were just trying to make a living. After they
ate all the bugs on your property and surrounding, they did move on.

You don't bother them, they won't bother you.

Mostly.

Have a dog around?

Yeah. The other neighbor's large dog got sprayed really good. The
dog was throwing up for several hours. After several days the dog
owner said they used a two gallons of tomato juice on the dogs thick
fur.