Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Skunks breeding next door

The house next to mine is abandoned and skunks are living under the
rotten deck, or perhaps even inside the house. I don't care about
that, but now my back deck smells of skunk when the wind blows a
certain direction. I called the City Animal Control and they said
they can't do anything about it since it is not my property. Then I
called the city manager and someone came out to take a look, but that
was 3 months ago. The owner is paid up with property tax so the city
will not do anything. I'd prefer not to break any laws. Am I stuck?
We have red fox and hawks, but not sure if they will bother a skunk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 3:33*pm, Phisherman wrote:
The house next to mine is abandoned and skunks are living under the
rotten deck, or perhaps even inside the house. *I don't care about
that, but now my back deck smells of skunk when the wind blows a
certain direction. *I called the City Animal Control and they said
they can't do anything about it since it is not my property. *Then I
called the city manager and someone came out to take a look, but that
was 3 months ago. *The owner is paid up with property tax so the city
will not do anything. *I'd prefer not to break any laws. *Am I stuck?
We have red fox and hawks, but not sure if they will bother a skunk.

How about playing a radio (that you don't care about getting back
smell-free) day and night where you think they are living to see if
the noise will drive them away? You could push it near where they are
living using a long pole so that you don't end up smelling like their
living quarters,
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
The house next to mine is abandoned and skunks are living under the
rotten deck, or perhaps even inside the house. I don't care about
that, but now my back deck smells of skunk when the wind blows a
certain direction. I called the City Animal Control and they said
they can't do anything about it since it is not my property. Then I
called the city manager and someone came out to take a look, but that
was 3 months ago. The owner is paid up with property tax so the city
will not do anything. I'd prefer not to break any laws. Am I stuck?
We have red fox and hawks, but not sure if they will bother a skunk.

I'm pretty sure skunks won't honor property lines. Put out some traps.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news
The house next to mine is abandoned and skunks are living under the
rotten deck, or perhaps even inside the house. I don't care about
that, but now my back deck smells of skunk when the wind blows a
certain direction. I called the City Animal Control and they said
they can't do anything about it since it is not my property. Then I
called the city manager and someone came out to take a look, but that
was 3 months ago. The owner is paid up with property tax so the city
will not do anything. I'd prefer not to break any laws. Am I stuck?
We have red fox and hawks, but not sure if they will bother a skunk.

I had a family of skunks living under a deck that was built on the ground;
when they were under it (between the joists) they didn't have enough room to
lift their tails. They'd come out every night at dusk and back home by
daylight. I tried everything: ammonia soaked rags, broken glass in between
the joists and where they came in and out, moth balls, a liquid guaranteed
to get rid of skunks--nothing helped. So in the end we decided to live and
let live. They were right under our feet, we could see then through the
spaces between the decking. No matter what we did during the day--walked
the deck, ate on it, swept it, washed it down with a hose we never had a
problem with the skunks (at least four of them)--I guess they were willing
to put up with us in exchange for such a nice dry place to live (deck was
covered by a trailer canopy). BTW, no smell; before the summer was out they
decided to relocate on their own.
Maybe, as suggested, a continuous loud radio noise would be a worthwhile
thing to try---anyway, good luck.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
The house next to mine is abandoned and skunks are living under the
rotten deck, or perhaps even inside the house. I don't care about
that, but now my back deck smells of skunk when the wind blows a
certain direction. I called the City Animal Control and they said
they can't do anything about it since it is not my property. Then I
called the city manager and someone came out to take a look, but that
was 3 months ago. The owner is paid up with property tax so the city
will not do anything. I'd prefer not to break any laws. Am I stuck?
We have red fox and hawks, but not sure if they will bother a skunk.

I'm pretty sure skunks won't honor property lines. Put out some traps.

A dead skunk is gonna smell better?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

MLD wrote:

[...]

Skunks are not stupid. They were just trying to make a living. After they
ate all the bugs on your property and surrounding, they did move on.

You don't bother them, they won't bother you.

Mostly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A story about animals? I saw the subject line and expected to read about
the welfare check, food stamp couple having their 8th baby.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

MLD wrote:

[...]

Yeah. The other neighbor's large dog got sprayed really good. The
dog was throwing up for several hours. After several days the dog
owner said they used a two gallons of tomato juice on the dogs thick
fur.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 08:54:35 -0400, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
The house next to mine is abandoned and skunks are living under the
rotten deck, or perhaps even inside the house. I don't care about
that, but now my back deck smells of skunk when the wind blows a
certain direction. I called the City Animal Control and they said
they can't do anything about it since it is not my property. Then I
called the city manager and someone came out to take a look, but that
was 3 months ago. The owner is paid up with property tax so the city
will not do anything. I'd prefer not to break any laws. Am I stuck?
We have red fox and hawks, but not sure if they will bother a skunk.

You could rile up the skunks and make them stink so much that the owner
would have to do something about it.

No person lives there, the house is empty, abandoned, and has been
falling apart the last 7 years. The smell does not bother the owner,
he lives in another house, in another town. I thought the city may
(or maybe should) do something about it. Now I know the city's
primary function is to collect property taxes, anything else is
secondary. I need some kind of "action line" to know what can be
done. I'd prefer not to **** off the owner, if that is possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

MLD wrote:

[...]

One summer in Maine we had that pleasure, using a gallon or so of
tomato juice on the dog.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message

I'd prefer not to **** off the owner, if that is possible.

He's not worried about ****ing you off. Besides he does not live there so
you don't have to see him every day. Unless he is holding the mortgage on
your house or doing surgery on you gonads next week, do what you have to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Skunks are not stupid. They were just trying to make a living. After they
ate all the bugs on your property and surrounding, they did move on.

I would have no problem with poisened food thrown under the deck,
preferably with something that willl break down after a week or two
so a cat or dog does not get poisened a year down the road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nefletch wrote:
Skunks are not stupid. They were just trying to make a living. After they
ate all the bugs on your property and surrounding, they did move on.

I would have no problem with poisened food thrown under the deck,
preferably with something that willl break down after a week or two
so a cat or dog does not get poisened a year down the road.

Again, a dead skunk is gonna smell better? You never want an animal to
die where it sleeps, if it is within the same structure YOU sleep in, or
closely attached. I even disarmed the humane mousetraps when I went out
of town for a week a couple months back.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yeah. The other neighbor's large dog got sprayed really good. The
dog was throwing up for several hours. After several days the dog
owner said they used a two gallons of tomato juice on the dogs thick
fur.

One summer in Maine we had that pleasure, using a gallon or so of
tomato juice on the dog.

Tomato juice doesn't work. That's just old urban legend. Here's what
does: (it has no shelf life, so keep the separate ingredients on hand
for mixing when needed)

---xxx---xxx

The news has traveled far: Scientists nationwide are claiming a homemade
recipe can give you peace of mind if your pet has an unpleasant
encounter with a skunk... of course there's still folks who prefer
tomato juice or vinegar.

Forget tomato juice, it just doesn't work, Division of Wildlife
researcher Tom Beck said while looking over a recipe.

He wasn't talking about a bloody Mary.

Beck's dog recently rolled around in the remnants of a skunk that had
been dead for two weeks. "There's nothing that smells much worse," he
said.

Instead of banishing his dog outside for the night, Beck tried a
chemical concoction of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and liquid soap.
The combination apparently neutralizes organic compounds that cause the
foul-smelling odor.

"It really works," Beck said. He found the recipe in Wildlife Control
Technology magazine.

The formula is a safe, fast and cheap skunk deodorant that was developed
by chemist Paul Krebaum of Lisle, Ill., when a colleague's cat was in
dire need of a cure. The recipe includes:

One quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide

One-fourth cup baking soda

One teaspoon liquid soap

Skunk essence is made of sulfur molecules, Krebaum explained in the
article. The materials in the recipe, when mixed together, form an
alkaline peroxide, which chemically changes the skunk essence into
sulfonic acid; a completely odorless chemical. The soap breaks down the
oily skunk essence, making it more susceptible to the other chemicals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
The house next to mine is abandoned and skunks are living under the
rotten deck, or perhaps even inside the house. I don't care about
that, but now my back deck smells of skunk when the wind blows a
certain direction. I called the City Animal Control and they said
they can't do anything about it since it is not my property. Then I
called the city manager and someone came out to take a look, but that
was 3 months ago. The owner is paid up with property tax so the city
will not do anything. I'd prefer not to break any laws. Am I stuck?
We have red fox and hawks, but not sure if they will bother a skunk.

Skunks don't smell unless attacked or something scares the heck out of
them? Even then, the skunk doesn't smell, but whatever attacked or
scared them probably will. Well, they smell if crushed by a car or
something.

I've had skunks living under my shed a number of times and only smelled
them rarely, probably just before eaten by something or run over by a
car. They never seem to stay around long? I've had dogs come home
smelling like skunks many times though. I've even seen skunks kept as
pets, with the smell glands supposedly intact... no smell, just don't
**** them off...

Are you sure it's not a local dog that enjoys the smell and found a way
to enhance the neighborhood aroma:-)

At any rate, a .22 short should work well.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Phisherman
wrote:

The house next to mine is abandoned and skunks are living under the
rotten deck, or perhaps even inside the house. I don't care about
that, but now my back deck smells of skunk when the wind blows a
certain direction. I called the City Animal Control and they said
they can't do anything about it since it is not my property. Then I
called the city manager and someone came out to take a look, but that
was 3 months ago. The owner is paid up with property tax so the city
will not do anything. I'd prefer not to break any laws. Am I stuck?
We have red fox and hawks, but not sure if they will bother a skunk.

http://www.critterbgone.com/shake_small.asp

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

I agee that shooting works. Another thing is that even skunks don't
like the smell of ammonia, if you want to toss over a poorly sealed
containter of ammonia, or squirt ammonia with a pressurized pump tank
sprayer, they may move on.

Standard precautions apply: gloves, googles, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agee that shooting works. Another thing is that even skunks
don't like the smell of ammonia, if you want to toss over a poorly
sealed containter of ammonia, or squirt ammonia with a
pressurized pump tank sprayer, they may move on.
Standard precautions apply: gloves, googles, etc.

No amount of gloves and goggles would make me think it was a good idea
to squirt smelly stuff on a skunk. They are better at this game than we
are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

A story about animals? I saw the subject line and expected to read
about the welfare check, food stamp couple having their 8th baby.

food stamp couple having their 8th baby

Newleyweds...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 4:55*pm, Bert Byfield wrote:
I agee that shooting works. * Another thing is that even skunks
don't like the smell of ammonia, if you want to toss over a poorly
sealed containter *of ammonia, or squirt ammonia with a
pressurized pump tank sprayer, they may move on.
Standard precautions apply: gloves, googles, etc.

No amount of gloves and goggles would make me think it was a good idea
to squirt smelly stuff on a skunk. They are better at this game than we
are.

Um, you don't need to apply the ammonia directly to the skunk... just
the area where they are hiding.

It'd be rare to see a skunk during the day anyway. They like to come
out at the dim part of dusk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A friend of mine who runs live traps now has one that a skunk has found.
The skunk keeps coming back and he has gotten sprayed pretty bad a few
times getting it out of there.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Wingers breeding like the animals they are.... pyotr filipivich Metalworking 0 September 4th 09 09:32 PM
SKUNKS !!! lance Home Repair 33 October 5th 07 02:51 PM
Getting rid of skunks Mizzy M Home Repair 9 October 20th 05 01:26 AM
any idea on how to get rid of skunks? RobR Home Repair 15 August 11th 05 10:15 PM
Need help with getting rid of skunks. Bruce K. Home Repair 7 August 23rd 04 03:07 PM