Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default Old concrete fence posts and shed floor

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
Having nearly finished replacing the fence I have a large stock of
partial and complete old concrete fence posts.

The local tip is very picky about throwing stuff like this away - two
small bags of hardcore per day, or it is 'commercial waste' and you
have to pay.
Now we are about to build a big shed with a concrete base.
It occured to me that we could save all sorts of aggravation if we
buried the old fence posts in the concrete base.
I would wash them first (power washer) to remove all the dirt and
detritus. This would presumably not be as strong as a brand new
concrete base, but then again this isn't going to do a massive amount
apart from being the floor to the shed.
As long as they were an inch below the surface then the surface
should be fine.

Any good reasons not to do this?
The saving on the bulk of the concrete required for the floor, plus
the saving from landfill and repeat trips to the tip all sound good.

Do you have enough to use them as 'formwork' then just fill in the middle
with concrete?

Possibly, but I didn't particularly want them at the surface or at the
edge - more hidden in the middle somewhere to bulk out the floor without
being obvious.