Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old concrete fence posts and shed floor

Having nearly finished replacing the fence I have a large stock of partial
and complete old concrete fence posts.

The local tip is very picky about throwing stuff like this away - two small
bags of hardcore per day, or it is 'commercial waste' and you have to pay.

Now we are about to build a big shed with a concrete base.
It occured to me that we could save all sorts of aggravation if we buried
the old fence posts in the concrete base.
I would wash them first (power washer) to remove all the dirt and detritus.
This would presumably not be as strong as a brand new concrete base, but
then again this isn't going to do a massive amount apart from being the
floor to the shed.
As long as they were an inch below the surface then the surface should be
fine.

Any good reasons not to do this?
The saving on the bulk of the concrete required for the floor, plus the
saving from landfill and repeat trips to the tip all sound good.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 12, 6:15*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a fairly good idea to me. The metalwork in the posts will
rust one day, long in the future.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Seems fine to me, though I would use a sledge hammer to "crack" them and not
lay them as a tin of sardines which could weaken the stability of the base,
(I think). Leave some space between them.

Once upon a time, when Noggin nogged in the Bad Lands, at a time of Biblical
Drought in England's Green and Pleasant Land as Dennis Howell became
Minister of Rain, not far from his constituency, I needed rubble to create
the base for a kitchen extension to our first house.

I raided the byways for stones and concrete that the less considerate had
disposed of.

As I lifted the tailgate of the Maxi, I wondered whether passers-by realised
what I was doing or thought I was indulging in inconsiderate tipping!

Fortunately George Dixon didn't pass by.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Do you have enough to use them as 'formwork' then just fill in the middle
with concrete?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Possibly, but I didn't particularly want them at the surface or at the
edge - more hidden in the middle somewhere to bulk out the floor without
being obvious.

Concrete fence posts Martin UK diy 18 July 10th 07 12:15 AM
Drilling old concrete fence posts? A.Lee UK diy 12 May 18th 07 11:07 PM
Concrete Fence Posts John UK diy 17 December 18th 06 04:52 PM
Slotted concrete fence posts ??? gray UK diy 4 June 19th 05 05:30 PM
Set fence posts in concrete or use Metposts? DIY Novice UK diy 6 June 3rd 04 10:26 PM