Posted to sci.electronics.repair
iws iws is offline

Default Philips Active Noise Canceling Headphones, SHN2500 OEM - SHN2500-B ???

"mm" wrote in message
| On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:41:38 -0700, "iws" wrote:
|
| "mm" wrote in message
| .. .
| | Are these actually active noise cancelling, or even noise cancelling
| | at all?
| |
| |

http://www.buy.com/prod/philips-acti...tml?adid=17992

| |
| | Their list price is only 30 dollars.
| |
| | I thought to be noise cancelling, there had to be a microphone that
| | listened to background noise and a circuit that reversed the noise and
| | simultaneously played it through the speakers or earphones.
| |
| | It's not just on this shlocky website that I see the term used to
| | mean, afaict, "fills your ear canal so the noise can't get it". Or do
| | they do more than that.
| |
| | Thanks.
| |
| Yes, they will have some sort of active noise cancelling circuitry with a
| microphone. It's all in the separate module shown next to the ear pieces.
| How well it works is another story but the reviews for this model seem
| pretty positive.
|
| Wow. That's amazing. Thanks.
|
| (I am not going to shop anymore at buy.com, however. Too many
| problems.)

Actually, I've bought a few things from buy.com and been pleased with the
service and products. However, I think they have a large number of actual
stores that deliver the merchandise so that may be where the variability
arises. On the earphones, they're only $9.99 with free shipping - hard to go
wrong.