Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Philips Active Noise Canceling Headphones, SHN2500 OEM - SHN2500-B ???

Are these actually active noise cancelling, or even noise cancelling
at all?

http://www.buy.com/prod/philips-acti...tml?adid=17992

Their list price is only 30 dollars.

I thought to be noise cancelling, there had to be a microphone that
listened to background noise and a circuit that reversed the noise and
simultaneously played it through the speakers or earphones.

It's not just on this shlocky website that I see the term used to
mean, afaict, "fills your ear canal so the noise can't get it". Or do
they do more than that.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
iws iws is offline

"mm" wrote in message
| Are these actually active noise cancelling, or even noise cancelling
| at all?

http://www.buy.com/prod/philips-acti...tml?adid=17992

| Their list price is only 30 dollars.
|
| I thought to be noise cancelling, there had to be a microphone that
| listened to background noise and a circuit that reversed the noise and
| simultaneously played it through the speakers or earphones.
|
| It's not just on this shlocky website that I see the term used to
| mean, afaict, "fills your ear canal so the noise can't get it". Or do
| they do more than that.
|
| Thanks.

Yes, they will have some sort of active noise cancelling circuitry with a
microphone. It's all in the separate module shown next to the ear pieces.
How well it works is another story but the reviews for this model seem
pretty positive.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:41:38 -0700, "iws" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
| Are these actually active noise cancelling, or even noise cancelling
| at all?

http://www.buy.com/prod/philips-acti...tml?adid=17992

| Their list price is only 30 dollars.
|
| I thought to be noise cancelling, there had to be a microphone that
| listened to background noise and a circuit that reversed the noise and
| simultaneously played it through the speakers or earphones.
|
| It's not just on this shlocky website that I see the term used to
| mean, afaict, "fills your ear canal so the noise can't get it". Or do
| they do more than that.
|
| Thanks.

Yes, they will have some sort of active noise cancelling circuitry with a
microphone. It's all in the separate module shown next to the ear pieces.
How well it works is another story but the reviews for this model seem
pretty positive.

Wow. That's amazing. Thanks.

(I am not going to shop anymore at buy.com, however. Too many
problems.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
iws iws is offline

"mm" wrote in message
| On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:41:38 -0700, "iws" wrote:
|
| "mm" wrote in message
| .. .
| | Are these actually active noise cancelling, or even noise cancelling
| | at all?
| |
| |

http://www.buy.com/prod/philips-acti...tml?adid=17992

| |
| | Their list price is only 30 dollars.
| |
| | I thought to be noise cancelling, there had to be a microphone that
| | listened to background noise and a circuit that reversed the noise and
| | simultaneously played it through the speakers or earphones.
| |
| | It's not just on this shlocky website that I see the term used to
| | mean, afaict, "fills your ear canal so the noise can't get it". Or do
| | they do more than that.
| |
| | Thanks.
| |
| Yes, they will have some sort of active noise cancelling circuitry with a
| microphone. It's all in the separate module shown next to the ear pieces.
| How well it works is another story but the reviews for this model seem
| pretty positive.
|
| Wow. That's amazing. Thanks.
|
| (I am not going to shop anymore at buy.com, however. Too many
| problems.)

Actually, I've bought a few things from buy.com and been pleased with the
service and products. However, I think they have a large number of actual
stores that deliver the merchandise so that may be where the variability
arises. On the earphones, they're only $9.99 with free shipping - hard to go
wrong.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"iws" wrote in message
news
"mm" wrote in message
| On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:41:38 -0700, "iws" wrote:
|
| "mm" wrote in message
| .. .
| | Are these actually active noise cancelling, or even noise cancelling
| | at all?
| |
| |

http://www.buy.com/prod/philips-acti...tml?adid=17992

| |
| | Their list price is only 30 dollars.
| |
| | I thought to be noise cancelling, there had to be a microphone that
| | listened to background noise and a circuit that reversed the noise
and
| | simultaneously played it through the speakers or earphones.
| |
| | It's not just on this shlocky website that I see the term used to
| | mean, afaict, "fills your ear canal so the noise can't get it". Or
do
| | they do more than that.
| |
| | Thanks.
| |
| Yes, they will have some sort of active noise cancelling circuitry with
| microphone. It's all in the separate module shown next to the ear
pieces.
| How well it works is another story but the reviews for this model seem
| pretty positive.
|
| Wow. That's amazing. Thanks.
|
| (I am not going to shop anymore at buy.com, however. Too many
| problems.)

Actually, I've bought a few things from buy.com and been pleased with the
service and products. However, I think they have a large number of actual
stores that deliver the merchandise so that may be where the variability
arises. On the earphones, they're only $9.99 with free shipping - hard to
go
wrong.

See latest issue of Elektor magazine. Noise cancelling theme October issue
with ten different sets of noise cancelling headphones reviewed.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:21:39 -0700, iws wrote:

On the earphones, they're only $9.99 with free shipping - hard to go
wrong.

Well, maybe not -- not for the $9.99 SKU. I took a gamble at buying two
sets of these to replace the bulky earmuff-style noise cancelling
earphones that my wife and I use on long airplane flights.

I guess I'm only out $20.

The whole kit comes in a poly bag -- no box. It came only with _one_
set of ear cups. These are obviousy returned or 're-fubished' items.
(How do you "refurbish" things like this?) Neither set seems to do much
noise cancelling. What they do do .. they amplify the audio when
switched "On". Maybe the intent is to over-power the external noise --
thus driving my poor hearing to an even sorrier state....

I see the web site no longer has this $9.99 SKU. They do have a $22.99
SKU that seems to be the full Philips kit -- with box and everything!
:-)

Anyway, I guess I'm only out $20.

Jonesy
--