Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Older house wiring puzzle

In article ,
Mike Paulsen wrote:

I think the phrase "once you muck with this" is the key. It doesn't
matter whether you (in theory) do or do not make it any worse than it is
now. Once you touch it you may be held responsible for it.

Agreed. I tried to refer my electrician to a friend with a mobile home
with an intermittent outlet, and he flat-out refused. Called them all
fire traps, and said he wouldn't so much as change a light bulb in a
mobile home for fear of being held liable if the place burned down later.

I've also heard rumors that once you upgrade any part of older wiring,
the entire house has to be brought up to current code. But since no one
else has brought it up, maybe no truth to it or maybe it's just a local
issue.