Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Older house wiring puzzle

On 9/11/2009 2:53 PM spake thus:

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:29:29 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

But yes, the previous poster's shrieks of alarm are unwarranted.
Properly done K&T wiring in good condition (as the wiring in this
particular house is) is no less safe than modren wiring methods.

EXCEPT it is not designed to handle the current requirements of
today's average home.

Yabut, the K&T circuits (3 of them) are all on 15-amp breakers, so
they're well within their ratings. No danger there.

In a LOT of ways, it is actually SAFER (electrically) than current
wiring practices as the live and neutral are widely spaced.
Pretty hard to drive a nail through a wire and cause a short.

This was stated elsewhere in the thread, and I agree with it.

However, MANY older homes with K&T have NO BOXES. Therefore no "fire
enclosure" if a faulty device (switch , receptacle, or lamp base)
should start on fire. That's where the underwritters start having
fits. Particularly if there is flamable insulation around those wires.

I've seen lots of houses with K&T wiring, but *none* with "no boxes" as
you describe. (On the other hand, I have seen *lots* of wiring added
later that should have in boxes but wasn't.) All devices (switches,
outlets and lighting fixtures) have proper boxes here.