Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default NM cable in garage?

On 2009-09-11, Pete C. wrote:

What are the benefits of living in a densely populated area?

Greater ease of finding people with similar interests, greater
cultural resources, less driving and more walking.

How does your neighbor's home wiring impact you?

I gave two examples: starting a fire or energizing my metallic water
pipes.

Or if you have a metallic water distribution system, your
neighbor's electrical wiring can create an electricution hazard for
you when working on your water pipes.

Extraordinarily unlikely, since your water supply pipes are supposed
to be specifically grounded, and are further grounded if they are
metal pipes buried in the ground.

Actually it can and does happen every year. *At each electrical
service entrance the metallic water piping is used as a grounding
electrode and connected to the service neutral. *So at any electrical
service entrance, while most of current returns to the transformer on
the service neutral as intended, a good portion of it returns through
the metallic water piping system and other people's neutral service
conductors.

Now if someone loses their own neutral service conductor, they may
never notice it as all the current can still return to the transformer
through the metallic water piping system. *Then if you are working on
your water piping and disconnect the piping between the water service
lateral and the connection to the grounding electrode conductor, you
have a voltage between the two pieces of pipe. *If you bridge that
gap, you can get shocked or electrocuted.

Basically you're trying to push codes on others based on your own
unfounded insecurities. You worry about your home, and leave the
worrying about my home to me.

As long as your actions can affect me, in a functioning society we
need minimum standards of behavior.

It's been a pleasant discussion.

Cheers, Wayne

Wayne-

imo, its all about risk; probability & consequences

the water service electrocution hazard is real but compared when
compared to other sources of deadly danger...how does it rate?
down the list from plan crashes & lightening strikes?

the truth of the matter is...in the USA we're much more likely to eat,
smoke, drink or drive ourselves to death.....fall or fail to swim

the rest are pretty much de minimis, especially for a person with
technical training or education

at what point do the code "improvements" reach to point of diminishing
returns? or add complexity that might actually be counter productive?

cheers
Bob