Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default NM cable in garage?

Wayne Whitney wrote:

On 2009-09-11, Pete C. wrote:

The NEC is not a law of any kind

Except when the state legislature empowers the state building
commission to adopt appropriate codes, and the building commission
adopts the NEC. Or however it works in your state.

The NEC is still not law, the NEC is simply adopted as a reference
standard, usually with local modifications.

This is why you should live in an area without codes and inspectors
and fight to keep the area that way.

To each their own. Personally, I like the benefits of living in a
densely populated area.

What are the benefits of living in a densely populated area?

One of the downsides is that my neighbor's
actions can have an impact on me, so I want a minimum standard
enforced to reduce the risks involved.

How does your neighbor's home wiring impact you?

But even in a sparsely populated area, your neighbor's electrical
wiring can cause a fire that could threaten your property.

That is a very tenuous connection. There is a much higher probability of
the cigarette tossed from a car driving down your street starting a
brush fire that threatens your property. Or even flaming squirrels
falling from the power lines starting a fire that threatens your
property (documented cases).

Or if you
have a metallic water distribution system, your neighbor's electrical
wiring can create an electricution hazard for you when working on your
water pipes.

Extraordinarily unlikely, since your water supply pipes are supposed to
be specifically grounded, and are further grounded if they are metal
pipes buried in the ground.

Basically you're trying to push codes on others based on your own
unfounded insecurities. You worry about your home, and leave the
worrying about my home to me.