Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default NM cable in garage?

On Sep 11, 9:39*am, "DGDevin" wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
I've also seen horrendous work done by people who should have known
what they were doing. My current house is an example and I've
remediated the various electrical work done by a former utility
lineman owner. Granted utilities go by the NESC, but they should know
enough to read the NEC for their home projects. I have copies of both
on my bookshelf and I'm neither an electrician nor a lineman, I just
research properly so I know what I'm doing.

So, you know what you're doing because you've read the code. *That almost
sounds as if the right way to do it is found in the code, which naturally
raises the question of why living in an area not subject to the code would
be a good thing....

Codes are artifacts that strive to achieve certain goals. The
important issue (imo) is understanding the intent of the code (what is
the goal / objective) which can be sometimes difficult. Sometimes
people who really dont know (or even want to know) the intent of a
codes section just hang their hat on the words in the code section or
their flawed interpretation of it.

I see the value of codes but I cringe when someone, who clearly has no
understanding of the underlying phenomena or intention, trys to quote
code to me. I see blind code quoting as a substitute for
understanding and rational thought.

as to the question in a previuos post

raises the question of why living in an area not subject to the code would be a good thing....

Why? Here's why.......

one would not be subjected to the oft described capricious demands of
the ill-formed but none the less "powerful" inspector.......

how many times in this newsgroups has the advice of "don't argue with
the inspector" been offered? how many of us have seen the "drive by"
inspection? how many times have we seen work the was "inspected" but
still doesn't meet code & is wrong / unsafe?

It is very difficult to inspect quality into a job ...even with a full
time / on site inspector. It has to be built into it by
knowlegedable people who care about doing a good job. The code helps
work towards this but it isn't the only thing involved.

The code allows drywall in garages....in a yuppie garage, maybe ok but
in a working garage drywall alone sucks.

Its all about compromises....maybe the OP cant afford to drywall his
garage. Should he put off wiring the garage 'til he can & extension
cords in the meantime? Or wire with NM & do the drywall later? or
maybe he could nail up some of those multi-outlet LED power cords?

cheers
Bob