Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_2_] Jon Danniken[_2_] is offline

Default opinion of GE water heaters

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I think mine was GE, can't remember. Anyhow, the GE guy
approved my return. Return number is same as the serial
number of the unit. Home Depot refunded the sale price of
the tank, about $200. And then I went to the shelf to buy a
new one which was about $400. I figured it was better than
being told no refund, but not much better.

Unless the warranty specified a prorated price (like an automotive battery),
GE should have provided you a replacement unit at no cost.

If it were me, I would have talked to a Home Despot manager. Failing
resolution, even at the stage you are at now, bring up the issue with GE,
mentioning things like State Attorney General, lawyers, breach of contract,
your local news media, and the like. It won't take much squeaking for your
wheel to be greased.

Bottom line is that it sounds like you got screwed out of the terms of your
warranty, if it indeed covered replacement of the unit.

Jon