Posted to alt.home.repair

Default opinion of GE water heaters

My natural gas GE water heater is leaking. I bought it and installed
it myself about 9 years ago. It is still within warranty (12 year
warranty) and I called the GE service hotline and the big box store
where I bought it - everyone was very accommodating and I can bring in
the old one and exchange it for a new one, receiving a credit of about
$300. My question is whether it is worth it to do so, since it means
I will wind up with another GE water heater. (They are actually made
by Rheem.) Considering the effort involved in hauling the old one
over there and installing the new one, I would consider forgoing the
credit if there is a noticeably better option in terms of brand. So,
was this one a fluke, or do they all do that? -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:
My natural gas GE water heater is leaking. I bought it and installed
it myself about 9 years ago. It is still within warranty (12 year
warranty) and I called the GE service hotline and the big box store
where I bought it - everyone was very accommodating and I can bring in
the old one and exchange it for a new one, receiving a credit of about
$300. My question is whether it is worth it to do so, since it means
I will wind up with another GE water heater. (They are actually made
by Rheem.) Considering the effort involved in hauling the old one
over there and installing the new one, I would consider forgoing the
credit if there is a noticeably better option in terms of brand. So,
was this one a fluke, or do they all do that? -- H

I've been told that ten years is about the limit for w.h. I lived in a
home that had AO Smith x2 that each lasted about 5 years; very hard
water, no softener. Do you drain it yearly?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:

My natural gas GE water heater is leaking. I bought it and installed
it myself about 9 years ago. It is still within warranty (12 year
warranty) and I called the GE service hotline and the big box store
where I bought it - everyone was very accommodating and I can bring in
the old one and exchange it for a new one, receiving a credit of about
$300. My question is whether it is worth it to do so, since it means
I will wind up with another GE water heater. (They are actually made
by Rheem.) Considering the effort involved in hauling the old one
over there and installing the new one, I would consider forgoing the
credit if there is a noticeably better option in terms of brand. So,
was this one a fluke, or do they all do that? -- H

AFAIK, Rheem is a reputable brand, but if the product doesn't have their
name on it it might be of lesser quality than the ones on which they put
their own name.

We recently did a preemptive/precautionary replacement of a
6-yr-warranty Ruud (also by Rheem) that was 11 years old but showed no
sign of a leak even on an 80psi water supply.

People speak well of AO Smith water heaters. AFAIK the only ones bearing
that name are available only through plumbers, but they make "private
label" ones as well; I believe that the Sears we bought to replace the
Ruud is one of theirs.

[Several decades ago in Australia I happened across a Rheem display
booth in a shopping mall, where the representative asked how old our
water heater was. I told him (AFAIR) that it was 12 years old, to which
he responded, "Then you'll be needing a new one very soon." I told him
the brand of ours (a local "no-name" brand with a 25-yr warranty), and
he admitted that we would not need a new one for a long time yet. This
was a 60gal (real gallons, each consisting of 8 x 20oz. pints) electric
water heater that ran off cut-rate electricity that could be cut off
whenever the utility company needed to reduce the load. 60gal. water
heaters were the norm; some homes had 80gal. ones.

IOW, Rheem did not consider themselves to be the best available there.]

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 2:24*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:
[...]

Since 1960 (our first house) we have averaged about 9 -10 years per
tank here; always buying run of the mill 40 US gallon electrics. Last
replacement was in the $200 - $300 range with new PR valve. Due to
water quality most suppliers here will not support the manufacturers
six year warranty and will only provide three years. Gas (except
bottled propane) not available here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
My natural gas GE water heater is leaking. I bought it and installed
it myself about 9 years ago. It is still within warranty (12 year
warranty) and I called the GE service hotline and the big box store
where I bought it - everyone was very accommodating and I can bring in
the old one and exchange it for a new one, receiving a credit of about
$300. My question is whether it is worth it to do so, since it means
I will wind up with another GE water heater. (They are actually made
by Rheem.) Considering the effort involved in hauling the old one
over there and installing the new one, I would consider forgoing the
credit if there is a noticeably better option in terms of brand. So,
was this one a fluke, or do they all do that? -- H

The longevity of the WH is usually defined by how long the anode lasts, and
if you drain the sediment off.

Check out this web site for a complete explanation.

http://waterheaterrescue.com/

They suggest that if you take a few small steps to maintain the device, it
will probably last a whole lot longer than the warrantee.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:
My natural gas GE water heater is leaking. I bought it and installed
it myself about 9 years ago. It is still within warranty (12 year
warranty) and I called the GE service hotline and the big box store
where I bought it - everyone was very accommodating and I can bring in
the old one and exchange it for a new one, receiving a credit of about
$300. My question is whether it is worth it to do so, since it means
I will wind up with another GE water heater. (They are actually made
by Rheem.) Considering the effort involved in hauling the old one
over there and installing the new one, I would consider forgoing the
credit if there is a noticeably better option in terms of brand. So,
was this one a fluke, or do they all do that? -- H

You've got to haul the old one somewhere, if only to the curb. Might as well
get $300 credit on a replacement.

The longevity of the water heater has much more to do with the quality of
the water than the quality of the construction.

Then, too, where is your water heater leaking? If the leak is just a valve
or something similar, the heater itself may still be okay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 08:27:47 -0700 (PDT), Heathcliff
wrote:

My natural gas GE water heater is leaking. I bought it and installed
it myself about 9 years ago. It is still within warranty (12 year
warranty) and I called the GE service hotline and the big box store
where I bought it - everyone was very accommodating and I can bring in
the old one and exchange it for a new one, receiving a credit of about
$300. My question is whether it is worth it to do so, since it means
I will wind up with another GE water heater. (They are actually made
by Rheem.) Considering the effort involved in hauling the old one
over there and installing the new one, I would consider forgoing the
credit if there is a noticeably better option in terms of brand. So,
was this one a fluke, or do they all do that? -- H

Well, it all comes down to this: Do you want a free one or would you
rather buy one? There are actually 2 or 3 manufacturers and they put
on whatever label you want. I suggest getting the free one and
install an expansion tank (abbout $35). (You actually do not need to
return the old tank, but returning the leaking tank makes it nice).
Use Sharkbite connectors and and flex connectors to make it easier
next time. Yeah, I hate cold showers too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

if the tank is leaking around a fitting it has FAILED, fixing that
leak will just create more shortly.

just go with the same manufacturer, GE is fine.

tanks are realtively cheap low cost per year appliances.

take cost of tank divide by years of service.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think mine was GE, can't remember. Anyhow, the GE guy
approved my return. Return number is same as the serial
number of the unit. Home Depot refunded the sale price of
the tank, about $200. And then I went to the shelf to buy a
new one which was about $400. I figured it was better than
being told no refund, but not much better.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Well, it all comes down to this: Do you want a free one or
would you
rather buy one? There are actually 2 or 3 manufacturers and
they put
on whatever label you want. I suggest getting the free one
and
install an expansion tank (abbout $35). (You actually do
not need to
return the old tank, but returning the leaking tank makes it
nice).
Use Sharkbite connectors and and flex connectors to make it
easier
next time. Yeah, I hate cold showers too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 12:30*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:
[...]

Yup....my first water heater lasted from1963 to 1980
second; 1980 yo 2004
third; 2004 to 2009 (so far)
never any maint (no draining or anode replacement)
Santa Ana, CA water is very kind to w/h's

w/h at my mom's house (Tustin, CA) last ~10 years only

w/h in a rental in yorba linda, ca.....only lasted 1 yr...replacement
at least 6 years ('til I sold the place)

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I think mine was GE, can't remember. Anyhow, the GE guy
approved my return. Return number is same as the serial
number of the unit. Home Depot refunded the sale price of
the tank, about $200. And then I went to the shelf to buy a
new one which was about $400. I figured it was better than
being told no refund, but not much better.

Unless the warranty specified a prorated price (like an automotive battery),
GE should have provided you a replacement unit at no cost.

If it were me, I would have talked to a Home Despot manager. Failing
resolution, even at the stage you are at now, bring up the issue with GE,
mentioning things like State Attorney General, lawyers, breach of contract,
your local news media, and the like. It won't take much squeaking for your
wheel to be greased.

Bottom line is that it sounds like you got screwed out of the terms of your
warranty, if it indeed covered replacement of the unit.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 10, 10:27*am, Heathcliff
wrote:
My natural gas GE water heater is leaking. I bought it and installed
it myself about 9 years ago. It is still within warranty (12 year
warranty) and I called the GE service hotline and the big box store
where I bought it - everyone was very accommodating and I can bring in
the old one and exchange it for a new one, receiving a credit of about
$300. *My question is whether it is worth it to do so, since it means
I will wind up with another GE water heater. *(They are actually made
by Rheem.) *Considering the effort involved in hauling the old one
over there and installing the new one, I would consider forgoing the
credit if there is a noticeably better option in terms of brand. *So,
was this one a fluke, or do they all do that? *-- H

Thanks all for the responses. Looks like replacing the water heater
will be tomorrow (Saturday)’s project. I am pretty sure it is leaking
from the tank; the connections are on top and there is no water
there.

Similar to Stormin’s situation, the refund amounts to about half the
price of a new unit, which is certainly better than nothing.
Apparently prices have risen quite a bit since 2000. I checked a
couple other local big boxes and there don’t seem to be any bargains
out there.

I was inclined to doubt the quality of the unit since my perception is
that our local water is pretty benign (Lake Michigan water) and water
heaters usually last a long time. But maybe not. Or maybe it was
lack of maintenance – the website on water heater rescue was very
interesting. I will certainly check the anode(s) on the old unit when
removing it, out of curiosity. If there is significant corrosion on
it I will resolve to check it as a preventive measure in the future.
When I first got my current heater I did drain it occasionally, but
stopped after a couple times since there did not seem to be any
sediment to speak of coming out. I’ll see if there is any when I
drain it for removal.

Cheers and thanks again for the responses. -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 09:38:09 -0700 (PDT), Heathcliff
wrote:

On Sep 10, 10:27*am, Heathcliff
wrote:
[...]

My GE water heaters have been failing every 4 to 5 years. GE has
provided a replacement several times without charge, but it can be
pain to install. But I am far ahead in terms of cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
On Sep 10, 10:27 am, Heathcliff
wrote:
[...]

I would do a couple of things to the new one to make future maintenance
easier.

1] Pull the anode on the new one now so heat does not set the sealant
they use on the threads. When you pull the old anode you will see what I
mean.

2] Now is also a great time to install the full port ball valve and toss
the plastic piece of junk that is on the tank.

Also report back here after you check out the old one. You might also strip
the old one of its gas parts (control unit burner and thermocouple) and keep
them as Murphy's law will have a water heater failure occur when you have no
time to run around and look for parts and a house full of guests.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

newer water heaters cost far more, because of efficency and safety
improvements.

in R foam and burners designed to not cause a explosion in the
presence of stuff like gas fumes.

all this costs money but saves you bucks long term

I doubt there are any non pro rata warranty tanks for sale, least I
have never seen them

The longest warranty tends to be 12 years, which is probably a good
investment, although the up front cost is more

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can't remember if I have the old paper work. For $200, maybe
I try and find it. You may very well be correct.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
message ...

Unless the warranty specified a prorated price (like an
automotive battery),
GE should have provided you a replacement unit at no cost.

If it were me, I would have talked to a Home Despot manager.
Failing
resolution, even at the stage you are at now, bring up the
issue with GE,
mentioning things like State Attorney General, lawyers,
breach of contract,
your local news media, and the like. It won't take much
squeaking for your
wheel to be greased.

Bottom line is that it sounds like you got screwed out of
the terms of your
warranty, if it indeed covered replacement of the unit.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Much the same here. I did drain once in a while. I shoulda
cranked that stupid valve off the bottom, and put in a full
flow quarter turn valve. So I can really drain it properly,
once a year. Mine leaked at the top, so not sure draining
would helped.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Heathcliff" wrote in
message

If there is significant corrosion on
it I will resolve to check it as a preventive measure in the
future.
When I first got my current heater I did drain it
occasionally, but
stopped after a couple times since there did not seem to be
any
sediment to speak of coming out. I'll see if there is any
when I
drain it for removal.

Cheers and thanks again for the responses. -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 9:31�pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Can't remember if I have the old paper work. For $200, maybe
I try and find it. You may very well be correct.

--
Christopher A. Young

is the new tanks warranty a pro rata? undoubtedly so but curious.

for ME having drained tanks and never found any sediment and not
wanting to damage a otherwise working tank I install and forget about
it tiill its getting old.

then replace on my schedule not when it leaks

Had one leak on christmas eve with overniite guests and company coming:
(

The little extra life isnt worth the hassles
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default opinion of GE water heaters - report on replacement

On Sep 10, 10:27*am, Heathcliff
wrote:
My natural gas GE water heater is leaking. I bought it and installed
it myself about 9 years ago. It is still within warranty (12 year
warranty) and I called the GE service hotline and the big box store
where I bought it - everyone was very accommodating and I can bring in
the old one and exchange it for a new one, receiving a credit of about
$300. *My question is whether it is worth it to do so, since it means
I will wind up with another GE water heater. *(They are actually made
by Rheem.) *Considering the effort involved in hauling the old one
over there and installing the new one, I would consider forgoing the
credit if there is a noticeably better option in terms of brand. *So,
was this one a fluke, or do they all do that? *-- H

Meet the new water heater, same as the old water heater . . . Replaced
the WH on Saturday. Took the old one in to the store and got a
refund, which amounted to about half the cost of the new one. I don't
think it was prorated, rather, I think the price just went way up in
the 9 years I had the thing. If I had had the receipt, I would have
gotten $309, which sounds like the price I originally paid. Without
the receipt the refund was $241, which is a percentage of 309, let's
see, umm, where's my calculator? Anyway it turned out to be about
half the price of the new 12-yr warrantee GE that I picked up. I'm
not quibbling. But this time I did put the receipt in with the owners
manual in the little bag taped to the WH.

I was not able to pull the anode rod on the old WH - I tried but it
required more grip and leverage than I could muster, or rather that I
was willing to spend time on. I had a hard enough time with
disassembling the ancient steel piping it was attached to. (Had to
use the old length of pipe over the monkey wrench handle trick.) I
also did not pull the anode on the new one before installing, as one
poster suggested, in the interest of getting the thing up and running
before the day was over. I may regret it. I did install a new ball
valve for the cold water supply shutoff, and put a drip leg on the gas
supply, which lacked one before. The drain valve on this unit is a
perfectly nice brass valve, I saw no reason to mess with it,
especially as I will probably use it only once! Thanks to all again
-- H.

Water heaters Kurt Ullman Home Repair 28 December 14th 08 07:14 AM
Ionics home water system treatment opinion Dave Home Repair 2 June 23rd 07 03:11 AM
Hard water & Indirect Water Heaters [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 9th 07 04:29 AM
Gas water heaters rob Home Repair 5 May 27th 06 05:23 PM
Circulating hot water vs two hot water heaters [email protected] Home Ownership 10 March 3rd 05 06:17 AM