Charlie Self

Default How much weight can a wall support (mounting a cabinet on a wall)

Wade Lippman asks:

I have used deck screws for things like that. Are they brittle also? I
figure they are pretty much the same as drywall screws except for length. A
few have broken going in, but I have never had a problem afterwards.

Deck screws should be less brittle, but a lot depends on the particular deck
screw. Given a choice, which we usually are, I'd kick back on-line and pop over
to www.mcfeelys.com for answers on screws. Jim has several types of deck
screw,d epending on material used, and he has a potful of driver type screws up
to something like 3-7/8". He also has a #10 deep thread that he recommends for
hanging cabinets. It comes in four different finishes, has a round washer head,
is a #10 and comes in 5/8" to 3" lengths.

Charlie Self
"I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use
our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson