Dave Mundt

Default How much weight can a wall support (mounting a cabinet on a wall)

Greetings and Salutations.

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 05:11:19 GMT, "Wade Lippman"
wrote:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Mark Jerde asks:

Charlie Self wrote:

Do NOT use drywall screws.

Why is that?

They're brittle, so their shear strength is poor.

I have used deck screws for things like that. Are they brittle also? I
figure they are pretty much the same as drywall screws except for length. A
few have broken going in, but I have never had a problem afterwards.

Nope...Deck Screws are NOT hardened to the extent that drywall
screws are...so they are a lot "tougher" - resistant to breaking when
drilling in.
As for hanging the cabinet...I would recommend (as others
have) the French cleat method. Although it does space the cabinet
out half an inch or so, it is going to be THE strongest and most
flexible way to hang them. I have been using the technique some
years now, and was interested to note that one of the woodworking
magazines has JUST published a lengthy and very positive article
about the technique.
Shoot one or two screws though the wall cleat into the studs
(making sure to get an inch into the stud itself) and you just about
will be able to hang an elephant on the cleat before it fails.
Regards
Dave Mundt