Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NM cable in garage?

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:02:47 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
Can type NM cable be used in a detached garage with no interior walls?

If exposed and "accessible" the general answer is NO.

Heretofore, I didn't use armored cable but I bit the bullet and picked up
100' of #12 Al armored stuff.

I ended up buying a $29 gadget that makes it easy to cut the armor. After
that, it many respects it's just as easy if not easier to use than the
romex! You get the right "connectors" and don't forget the bushings (tiny
little red sleves) and the cable clamps and you are ready to go.

My next purchase will be a roll of #14.

I had to connect some "boxes" on my basement wall. One was a relay
transformer box and I couldn't find fittings to line up the knockouts on the
relay box with the openings in the other boxes. Run the armored stuff and
NO PROBLEM!

In larger sizes (#10 and larger) it might not be practical but for #12 it's
very easy to use. If that problem comes up, I suspect I will use plastic
conduit.

I used to like AluSheath cable - can't seam to buy it any more.
A lot nicer to work with than BX.