Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default opinion of GE water heaters

On Sep 10, 12:30*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:
My natural gas GE water heater is leaking. I bought it and installed
it myself about 9 years ago. It is still within warranty (12 year
warranty) and I called the GE service hotline and the big box store
where I bought it - everyone was very accommodating and I can bring in
the old one and exchange it for a new one, receiving a credit of about
$300. *My question is whether it is worth it to do so, since it means
I will wind up with another GE water heater. *(They are actually made
by Rheem.) *Considering the effort involved in hauling the old one
over there and installing the new one, I would consider forgoing the
credit if there is a noticeably better option in terms of brand. *So,
was this one a fluke, or do they all do that? *-- H

You've got to haul the old one somewhere, if only to the curb. Might as well
get $300 credit on a replacement.

The longevity of the water heater has much more to do with the quality of
the water than the quality of the construction.

Then, too, where is your water heater leaking? If the leak is just a valve
or something similar, the heater itself may still be okay.

The longevity of the water heater has much more to do with the quality of

the water than the quality of the construction.

Yup....my first water heater lasted from1963 to 1980
second; 1980 yo 2004
third; 2004 to 2009 (so far)
never any maint (no draining or anode replacement)
Santa Ana, CA water is very kind to w/h's

w/h at my mom's house (Tustin, CA) last ~10 years only

w/h in a rental in yorba linda, ca.....only lasted 1 yr...replacement
at least 6 years ('til I sold the place)

cheers
Bob