Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default cheapest place to find insulation

On Sep 10, 8:17*am, stryped wrote:
On Sep 9, 8:29*pm, rangerssuck wrote:

On Sep 8, 12:00*pm, stryped wrote:

I am wanting to insulate my 30x30 shop with 2x4 walls on 2 foot
centers. Is there an online source for insulation or is Lowes or home
depot the cheapest place to go. Money is getting tight. I can use r13
or r-19. I live in Kentucky. The winters get cold but it is not like
some of you guys up north. And this is a garage/hobby shop not a place
of business.

Any suggestions? I have done a search and found unfaced r-19 for 30
bucks for 75 square feet but if I am figuring right that comes up to
600 bucks.

Don't use OSB for facing - it's too flammable. BUT, in places where
you know you'll be hanging stuff, you can put OSB or some dimensional
lumber under the sheetrock to use as nailers later.

Does anyone here use osb for their shop? I just dont think I can tape/
mud drywall. I really dont have any experience with it.

One tip is to use the tacky mesh tape rather than the paper tape. You
can just stick it on and mud through it, and it NEVER cracks. If you
insist on using paper tape, soak it in water first.

Personally, in a shop, I doubt I'd bother with the tape & mud at all.
Just paint it (or not). How were you planning to finish the OSB? It's
not exactly a smooth surface.