Posted to alt.home.repair

Default opinion of GE water heaters

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 08:27:47 -0700 (PDT), Heathcliff
wrote:

My natural gas GE water heater is leaking. I bought it and installed
it myself about 9 years ago. It is still within warranty (12 year
warranty) and I called the GE service hotline and the big box store
where I bought it - everyone was very accommodating and I can bring in
the old one and exchange it for a new one, receiving a credit of about
$300. My question is whether it is worth it to do so, since it means
I will wind up with another GE water heater. (They are actually made
by Rheem.) Considering the effort involved in hauling the old one
over there and installing the new one, I would consider forgoing the
credit if there is a noticeably better option in terms of brand. So,
was this one a fluke, or do they all do that? -- H

Well, it all comes down to this: Do you want a free one or would you
rather buy one? There are actually 2 or 3 manufacturers and they put
on whatever label you want. I suggest getting the free one and
install an expansion tank (abbout $35). (You actually do not need to
return the old tank, but returning the leaking tank makes it nice).
Use Sharkbite connectors and and flex connectors to make it easier
next time. Yeah, I hate cold showers too.