Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default opinion of GE water heaters

On Sep 10, 2:24*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
Heathcliff wrote:
My natural gas GE water heater is leaking. I bought it and installed
it myself about 9 years ago. It is still within warranty (12 year
warranty) and I called the GE service hotline and the big box store
where I bought it - everyone was very accommodating and I can bring in
the old one and exchange it for a new one, receiving a credit of about
$300. *My question is whether it is worth it to do so, since it means
I will wind up with another GE water heater. *(They are actually made
by Rheem.) *Considering the effort involved in hauling the old one
over there and installing the new one, I would consider forgoing the
credit if there is a noticeably better option in terms of brand. *So,
was this one a fluke, or do they all do that? *-- H

AFAIK, Rheem is a reputable brand, but if the product doesn't have their
name on it it might be of lesser quality than the ones on which they put
their own name.

We recently did a preemptive/precautionary replacement of a
6-yr-warranty Ruud (also by Rheem) that was 11 years old but showed no
sign of a leak even on an 80psi water supply.

People speak well of AO Smith water heaters. AFAIK the only ones bearing
that name are available only through plumbers, but they make "private
label" ones as well; I believe that the Sears we bought to replace the
Ruud is one of theirs.

[Several decades ago in Australia I happened across a Rheem display
booth in a shopping mall, where the representative asked how old our
water heater was. I told him (AFAIR) that it was 12 years old, to which
he responded, "Then you'll be needing a new one very soon." I told him
the brand of ours (a local "no-name" brand with a 25-yr warranty), and
he admitted that we would not need a new one for a long time yet. This
was a 60gal (real gallons, each consisting of 8 x 20oz. pints) electric
water heater that ran off cut-rate electricity that could be cut off
whenever the utility company needed to reduce the load. 60gal. water
heaters were the norm; some homes had 80gal. ones.

IOW, Rheem did not consider themselves to be the best available there.]

Perce

Since 1960 (our first house) we have averaged about 9 -10 years per
tank here; always buying run of the mill 40 US gallon electrics. Last
replacement was in the $200 - $300 range with new PR valve. Due to
water quality most suppliers here will not support the manufacturers
six year warranty and will only provide three years. Gas (except
bottled propane) not available here.